WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast
Georgia,USA

Hails from United States
Re: Struggling- To finish or not to finish?

don't touch it ,sign that baby and move on.It's Perfect!

around here we don't look backwards for very long,we keep moving farward,opening up new doors and doing new things,because we're curious,and curiousity keeps leading us down new paths......keep moving forward. Walt Disney
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
India

Hails from India

Hi Stephanie,

Your lion is looking gorgeous. You should finish it with grand success .

I think you are not focused at the moment and that's create confusion in your mind. You should think of one part at a time. Specially those with you are not happy. Try to rectify it & move ahead to next part. If you are working on eyes; forget everything else. If you are working on face; forget everything else. Work in blocks.

This will make your work easy & you can concentrate on your painting effectively...

Happy Painting

Cheers, Rahul

www.rahulparekhwildlife.com rahulparekhwildlife.blogspot.com
Facebook
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Last edited by Rahul Parekh : 04-29-2012 at 09:42 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

I would agree with the others in that you have a great start on the lion and if I were in your place I'd strive to finish it. You've gotten some good suggestions so I won't post more.

I will say in response to Rahul that everyone paints (or rather, creates) differently. I cannot focus on one block at a time - if I do, I lose all sense of the painting and it's done for. I invariably end up throwing these away. I always work all over, bringing the painting to completion at once (not section by section). Everyone works differently so do whatever helps you focus.

I did want to comment on coming back after a hiatus - it's a bugger! I took a year off painting about 4 years ago and it took me several paintings to feel as though I was back on my game. I got "rusty" in my time away from the easel and the only way I recitified that was to PAINT So be gentle with yourself but keep at it.

I also like Jason's suggestion to mix up working on small and large paintings - I also do this and it really helps keep my interest going. I'll also throw in some plein air painting to spark some creative energy.

Best of luck!

Nancy
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Durham, Maine

Hails from United States

Hi--just a little suggestion: the right (viewer's right) white spot below the eye is a lot different from that on the left and was the first thing I noticed. Have you finished the snout? I imagine you are highliting that area, but I would have the whiskers be more visible on the left. I think it is beautiful work, and that you should keep on making such lovely art.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Montana

Hails from United States

Thanks for all the great comments and advice everyone. I think taking it in small sections might be the answer with a big picture, I am very impatient. I finished my Powder Kitten and now I'm working on a horse, then maybe I can tackle the lion again!

Stephanie
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Lord of the Arts

This looks gorgeous! Please take this beauty out of the closet. I admire your strong sense of movement, and I really like how you've achieved his thick mane. I was thinking that maybe a few grasses in front of the paws might look good? Although its sometimes hard, I try to remember that something good always comes out of every painting. If you've already started it, then there's no reason not to finish.
Paige
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:33 AM
WC! Guide
near Auvers sur Oise

Hails from France

Hi Stephanie I like your picture the action of the cat and everything

As you asked for help I tried haer to see what could be changed and IMHO the darkline on the cat head being of centered give the impression the face is a bit twisted and elongated [even if it is like that on your ref] .So i recentered the line and enlarged a bit the right face and right shoulder of the cat so you can judge wihout trying it

I hope you do not mind I deited your picture what I did is just a suggestion roughly done in psd to think about it

Robert
ORIGINAL ============================== EDITED

Robert loves arts animals and CATS...

Last edited by skappy : 05-02-2012 at 02:44 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Montana

Hails from United States

Thank you, I don't mind the help at all, I was pretty close to putting this picture in the round file, your making me reconsider. Just adding more face in the shadows does help a lot. Maybe I will pick it up again. Thank you for taking the time to help me!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

I think your lion is coming along nicely and agree with most of what others have said - I'd probably put it away for a little while to destress but not for too long, as having done that I then "go off" the painting altogether. If your reference is too small, maybe look for a few larger ones in similar poses to help with the detail? I've been tempted to cut up a troublesome painting and frame the bit I was happy with (head and shoulders) but so far I've perservered. Gail
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Montana

Hails from United States

I hear what your saying there Gail!!!

Stephanie