WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: WHY can't I write an Artist Statement?

Hi I recently posted a thread to my blog on this with some pointers and my own example see here http://artycraftystudio.blogspot.com...statement.html

Creative writing and wording is not for everyone. I probably had trouble in the begining but I generaly revise my artist statement yearly or as my art changes to stay current.

I find brainstorming works best for me.

Maybe you find writing about yourself/your art hard because you are still trying to define it??? An artist statement makes your art clear for you and then when someone asks you about your art, you have an easier time explaining it as you have 'analysised' yourself
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 PM
artyczar

There is a bit of a formula to it. They are not easy. You are not alone! I rewrite mine constantly! There is an art to them. I bet your problem starts with the fact that you have three bodies of work. Someone else suggested writing one for each. I believe that IS the only way that would work.

If you are putting together a portfolio for galleries YES, you need the artist's statement. Whoever said they are stupid and you don't need one is incorrect.

Just because you may not like writing it or are having a hard time doesn't mean they are bad or not worth your time or your efforts. It's actually a great exercise.

Try to keep it under 300 words. Mine is about 150. That took a LONG time to get it there. There are a few dos and don'ts. don't tell the viewer what they should feel about your art. Don't compare yourself to other famous artists.

Write in the first person as yourself. Talk in plain language. Give a little background on yourself, especially if that influences your work. "I grew up in a small town where I was able to play near many lakes as a kid."

Mention what subject matter you address and why. "I like painting children, as for me it represents memory and happiness."

Mention the mediums you use and why. "I enjoy using oil color for the richness of color and the freedom it brings for me to express my feelings in the paint itself when rendering backgrounds..."

What does your work mean to you, and what does sharing your work with others mean to you? "I hope to connect with my viewers through a nostalgic experience, where our fondest memories can be held at the forefront of our hearts."

Personal background, Subject matter, Medium, Meaning, Sharing what with viewers?

These can possibly give you a little outline of where to start. I hope.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM
artyczar

Chrissy,

I just read your blog. WOW! That is really great. You know, for so long now I have been wondering how I could go about helping artists in some way like the way you are via your blog. I have often thought about how I might be able to do it here on Wet Canvas, but I just don't know how to go about doing that because I don't have "academic credentials" to qualify myself and make new artists that want to take the same path as me feel comfortable. But I do have the experience.

I guess the best I can do is "wing it" like I did when I typed what I did above. And just answer posts.

There are times when I want to set up a whole "THING" to make myself available and known as a person who helps artists who are starting out, but then I don't want to do it like that because I don't want money for it or anything like that. I just want to give back when and where, and if I can.

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge you for your blog and what a wonderful thing you have going there. Very cool!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Artyczar -you have given me such a wonderful feeling of fulfilment. You are the reason why I provide my knowledge and information for artists -to learn from. I know I don't have all the answers or the experience of decades. But that was the issue I found when I first started out and every new experience -finding information about Art Business is hard. So when I experienced the experience for myself, and from what little information I found, I decided to document that for others to use and learn from. I am so pleased you find my blog helpful -that is the reason for it.

(That is probably the natural teaching coming out in me -my passion to share my knowledge and experiences with others).
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 AM

Before you go public with your statement, get feedback. Show your art and statement to friends, friends' friends, and maybe even a stranger or two. Make sure they get it, that they understand what you want them to understand. When they don't, or you have to explain yourself, do a rewrite and eliminate the confusion. If you need help, find someone who writes or edits and have them fix the problem. Many times, a little rearranging is all that's necessary to make your statement a clean clear read.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

What if your block to writing an artist's statement is that most artist's statements seem cheesy and/or pretentious to you? Not that I'm anywhere close to having to worry about this issue, but I do wonder about it. I'm a very simple guy, a real wysiwyg type. Ya, I like certain things, maybe even love some of them but you won't see me wax poetic about them. Are there any examples of successful artists statements that are short, sweet and less than traditional but still acceptable in the traditional art world? I do often have a sense that the traditional art venues aren't really for me and this artist's statement issue is one of the reasons why.

David

My blog: DAVID KING STUDIO
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States

Suppose a friend asked you about your art. What would you want to tell them? What might I find interesting about you as an artist?

Write that down and you have an artist statement. What do you do and why do you do it?

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

You should steal anything you agree w/. Edit and simplify: refine it. So that you've used the best ideas......

Last edited by jemmett : 04-27-2012 at 09:37 AM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Write something pretentious.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, my entire dissertation was an arty bollocks statement. I didn't realise until just now. I did a photo portfolio on the street photography movement in New York in the 1930s and 40s and how, unlike other artistic movements it has been lessened by the advent of cheap new technologies that allow millions of tourists with point and click cameras to emulate it without any knowledge of their practice's origins every year.

Shoot me now.

Last edited by Carcharhinus : 04-27-2012 at 08:06 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmett
You should steal anything you agree w/. Edit and simplify: refine it. So that you've used the best ideas......

I was just looking at a gallery site -- they don't have shows, it's more a place to buy work by paging through it. Click on each artist's thumbnail and you get a description of the artist's work. It's not a first person statement but you may see something that clicks and you could edit it for yourself. It's at www.canvasgallery.ca