Home Forums The Learning Center Computers and Technology for Artists Need help in buying a drawing tablet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    michaelthepro

Hey all, I’m looking for a good drawing tablet for my work and I don’t want to spend more than $400. I referred this buying guide for drawing tablets[/URL] and they recommended me XP Pen Artist 10S. Shall I go for it? Is it really a worth buying tablet? Need your suggestions. I want good value for my hard earned money!

Liz

I’m still doing my digital art on an old wacom graphire. Any of the wacom tablets are good in my opinion.

My Art
            --------------------

BobPi

Go for a comfortable size. There are small ones that aren’t worth much.

Bob Cairone
                www.cairone.com

Jeffro Jones

Is it really a worth buying tablet?

Do you mean “is it really worth buying a tablet?” Bit hard for the forum to judge this, without knowing what you might need it for. Tablets are certainly fun for lots of digital graphic stuff, if nothing else :)

BTW, you understand that your preferred tablet is a “SCREEN TABLET” don’t you? It’s not one of the older style where you draw onto a pressure sensitive plastic sheet, and the drawing appears on your computer monitor… the tablet has a display screen, and you draw “directly” onto it…

There is a review of the XP-Pen here, in case you haven’t seen it. It looks really cool :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vct4DnQ06bI

:::

MaloCS

Save your money and buy a Surface Pro, iPad Pro or Wacom Cintiq Companion. The idea of drawing on an old school tablet when this new tech is available makes me shudder.

UGH! I never got the hang of the weird hand-eye coordination that was required to use one of those things. They always gave me a headache and a burning sensation in my shoulders. I’m pretty sure it was due to the weird, unnatural position I would sit in when using that older tech. Fortunately I haven’t suffered any adverse side effects from using the iPad Pro for a year and a half.

I have the pictures to prove it...

www.vincentcreative.net

Copied my reply from another thread from 2 years ago:

I used many different Wacom tablets over the past years professionally. I haven’t touched a mouse in 20 years.

Best size for you is very personal. I have used very small and very large tablets. I also had a Cintiq (with a build in screen) for a short time.

The big tablets
                            If you’re the one that paints and draws from the shoulder with big arm movements and if you can afford it, this is your tablet.
                            I personally found the big tablets clutter my desk too much. And I’m more of a draftsman that draws from the wrist. Besides, dragging a folder or a file on your desktop takes a long arm movement with a big tablet. That makes it act like a really slow mouse.

The small ones
                            These do the job for me. Not too small but certainly not too big leaves enough space on my desk and doesn’t slow me down in the finder and Indesign.

If you’re not sure what to get, buying a small one for starters is not a bad idea. See if you can get used to the pen/screen setup and if a tablet is something for you in the first place. If in the end you need a bigger one; just upgrade. If not, you saved yourself a lot of money.

Realise that cheap small tablets have a lower resolution. That sucks when doing 3D, but more importantly when painting in Photoshop or Painter. And a tablet that is really tiny works like it has ADHD when you use it as a mouse.

Cintiq tablets
                            They’re sold as the holy grail in tablet land and they’ll cost you a fortune. This is what most freelance visualizers use and I can understand, if drawing is the only thing you do on your computer and considering those people’s price per hour. For the record, I also know a visualizer (one of the best in the industry in my country) who said he went through 3 Cintiqs in 2 years because they all broke down and in the end decided against them.
                            I had one for a short while. It was cool for the first hour. But working on it for 8 hours straight was really bad for my neck. It hurt and it made me nausious. I prefer to look up to my screen, much more relaxed. Also, I use a lot of keyboard combinations when drawing in Photoshop and shifting from the Cintiq to my keyboard was slowing me down too much.
                            If someone is looking into Cintiqs, it might be an idea renting one for a day or 2 before buying.

I have an Intuos 4×5 at home for personal use next to my MacBook.
                            And I have a 6×8 at work, with a MacBook with to a 27″ monitor in front of me. I like to have my Wacom next to my separate keyboard and a sketchbook with a a tech pencil between me and the keyboard.

DarkFlights

I’d like to start drawing/painting digitally, and would prefer a screen tablet, but have no idea what to get! Low budget will probably restrict me, but I can save up I guess, though anything more than a couple of hundred quid would be a no-no right now. I’m also dreadful with most tech/software, so would need something really rather intuitive and easy – idiot-proof! Basically, I just want to paint and draw, but digitally. I don’t do anything else like 3D design, etc.

tripperchic

I’m still doing my digital art on an old wacom graphire. Any of the wacom tablets are good in my opinion.

I have two of those and one still works!!!! I also have a Vpen??? $35 tablet and is loose like a mouse pad and I have large Huion which is comparable to Wacom, i don’t have the info on me, but go to youtube, all those tablets have great reveiw videos. Thats how I wound up with the Huion. (and i still use my cheapy vpen(????) too.

The Huion is almost as big as my last all in decktop. the one i am using now is bigger but makes no difference.

tripperchic

I’d like to start drawing/painting digitally, and would prefer a screen tablet, but have no idea what to get! Low budget will probably restrict me, but I can save up I guess, though anything more than a couple of hundred quid would be a no-no right now. I’m also dreadful with most tech/software, so would need something really rather intuitive and easy – idiot-proof! Basically, I just want to paint and draw, but digitally. I don’t do anything else like 3D design, etc.

that is why i am taking painting lessons, cuz I just can’t get my stuff together in Painter. The last time i painted anything I was 22 had one brush and cheap water colors and made huge paintings. Now I am 65 and I need to learn first and hope it stays long enough to transfer it to painter, lol…its the same with drawing. used to draw portraits and animals, couldn’t replicate any of that.

drulf

Let me share my perspective as a hobbyist who is just beginning in digital art as a supplement to my work on paper with graphite and colored pencil. My interest is in using the advantages of digital (layers, infinite erasures, etc.) for design and layout. I have an Intous 3 (old ) digitizer tablet with an HP Envy laptop and a 24″ Dell secondary monitor ( on which I do my digital work).

I have watched most of the YouTube video reviews of the various screen tablet digitizers, those made by Wacom as well as the various Chinese knock-offs.

I suggest that one’s choice as between a screen digitizer, such as the Cintiq or the X-Pen and a tablet digitizer such as the Intous should depend mostly upon one’s work style. Some folks cannot look at a drawing appear on a screen while their hand is controlling the cursor motion on a tablet they are not watching. If that is the case, or if they just like to draw on a glass screen, then that’s what they should do. The decision between a Cintiq and a knock-off should be a balance between budget and need for features offered by the particular device.

For myself, the decision was easy, to upgrade my Intous 3 to an Intous Pro. This gives me most of the features of a Cintiq as I already have a large-format monitor, without my having to draw on a glass screen, which I compare unfavorably to dragging my fingernails across a blackboard!

Don

I’ve recently buy a drawing tablet. I am using Wacom Intuos product for my personal work. It fits great to me. Here are some image of my product:

I recommend you to read other blogger reviews before buy the best one for you. I use this for my personal work only. If you are planning to use this for professional job then please check what other blogger says. https://top10suggest.com/best-drawing-tablet-under-100/%5B/URL%5D

andrewcolin

Hey,
                                                I also had problems selecting drawing tablets in the start, later on I got expert with it and wrote this guide[/URL] on best drawing tablets. Hope it helps you.
                                                Thanks and Regards

Nitin Patel

If you don’t want to spend much more money then check these cheap drawing tablets[/URL] which is under 100 USD.

Well I thought It might be hard to adapt to a non screen tablet.. but it took me a grand total of 2 hours before I got the hang of it. After a while I stopped and reflected.. I did not even see the pen /pencil touching the paper when I draw with traditional media because my fingers are in the way.. why in hell would it be a problem?

Sine a cintiq here where I live cost as much as an automobile .. I am glad I was able to adapt to an Intuos pro.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

I’ve had a Huion (previously Monoprice) drawing tablet for about five years and I decided to upgrade. I like this so much I wish I would have spent more to get the bigger one! Easy to install, easy to set the hot keys, wonderful response. The only draw back is the cords which can be annoying: one to the tablet, two to the laptop, one to the power, and my laptop’s power cable in the mix sometimes. I love it.
                                                    before purchase, i confused between Huion & Wacom after reading this Comparison by expert[/URL] i go for huion

my memory with huion tablet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.