WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 07:07 PM

WIP... Mount Rundle

Hey all!

It has been a while since I have posted something I am working on. In fact, I found myself going through a bit of a painting funk since the beginning of summer and this is the first time since that I have put brush to canvas. It is weird because I think about painting constantly but for some reason I just couldnít bring myself to work on anything. I only started learning how to paint early this year so needless to say I was a bit distraught that I experienced such a thing so early on, but I am happy to say I have found my way back and have been working on this piece over the last couple weeks when I can find a spare hour or two.

Anyhow, here is where I am up until today. I still have work to do but I feel like it is finally starting to come together and I would love a bit of feedback. I am not going for any particular style but at the same time, I wish I could get a bit more impressionistic with it. I just havenít found my niche yet. Here is a pic of both the painting and the photographic subject matter. I am not trying for a perfect match as much as a guideline so keep that in mind. I am just looking for some subjective eyes that might give me ideas on moving forward as to what might be interesting considerations...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, positives or negatives are all welcome! I have thivck skin so donít be afraid my feeling might get hurt! 😆

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 08:50 PM
Singapore

Hails from United States
Re: WIP... Mount Rundle

I like the colors.

The reflections in the water should not have sharp edges. You might want to get them somewhat blurry.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenko
I like the colors.

The reflections in the water should not have sharp edges. You might want to get them somewhat blurry.
Thanks Shenko... I know I need to tackle that water and the reflections. Next down the line!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2019, 11:38 PM
Brooklyn, NY

Hails from United States

That looks very good. But as Shenko pointed out, the water is a little off. The crispness of the reflection, besides not looking like reflections on the water, distract from the rest of the painting. The viewer isn't sure where to look because everything is in crisp focus; "is the main image on top, or on the bottom" becomes the question in the viewers mind.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 02:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

I'd suggest not using a black/gray? on the mountain, the strong value brings it forward and many feel too much black can make dead area in landscapes..

The ref is showing the darker part of mountain as a muted blued /purple maybe a hint of a soft green to me..

I looked at the images to see the colors that side of mountain might show - some more green some more blued..no black unless it is due to camera /photo thing..
https://www.google.com/search?q=Moun...RYCnMQ_AUIESgB

With oils you should be able to get a softer edges in the reflections, but if going for a smooth clear mirror reflection.. needs to really match up with mtn & sky..
Take time & study on it ...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528

Last edited by ~JMW~ : 11-11-2019 at 02:42 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 07:21 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

Interesting!
My daughter has a connection to this mountain. She climbed it (in summer!) during a solo trip.
I then designed a tattoo for her of the mountain outline!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Good start. As suggested already, concentrate on your edges. The clouds and reflection edges are quite hard, also the drawing of the reflection is off, the reflected peak doesnít line up with the mountain peak.
I agree about being careful with black, maybe use ultramarine deep with some deep red (I like Pyrrole red PR254) or burnt sienna. More blue than red for cooler darks.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2019, 02:48 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

I'd go along with Boogiechile's comment. That reflection doesn't convince. Sort the position and angles within it. The shore itself seems a bit too light to suggest evening.
The whole picture is very cold. Yes, add reds to the blues but the sky and it's reflection needs that rich orange tone to come alive with a much brighter highlight in the cloud.
Notice also the variation of blues in the sky, from ultramarine on the right to a a greener blue on the left.

Last edited by 123harry : 11-13-2019 at 02:53 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-13-2019, 10:34 PM

Hey all! Sorry for the late reply... I am I the tire business and we are dead smack in the midst or our winter rush so work and sleep are all I have been doing lol!

I appreciate all the fantastic feedback and will work towards much of it. I will post more as I go... Thanks again!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2019, 06:18 PM

Got a bit more in today... Feeling a bit frustrated with some parts but still plugging on.