WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 02:57 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Nov. 2019: optional "fall colors" theme!

Yup, like a log left on the fire too long.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2019, 08:27 AM
Lord of the Arts
Helsinki

Hails from European Union

Grotius, I forgot you did the dailies for a long time in a row. Yes, you must have felt bit burned out after three months and it's smart to take a long rest of them now.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2019, 01:42 AM
Enthusiast

This is a rather mediocre start, but I get another session this weekend to improve things. "Mallina (in progress)," oil on linen panel, 11" x 14." About 2 hours so far.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

And here's session 2 of the same model, reflecting about another 90 minutes' worth of work. Not enough time to finish it properly, but enough to improve the likeness and add some highlights. "Study of Mallina," oil on linen panel, 11" x 14," about 3-4 hours total.

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2019, 03:12 PM

Geoff, yes, now it's your highlights. And lovely lips color!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:26 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Hi everybody! I’ve finally come to a (semi-)pause in the huge list of to dos that have kept me bogged down for so long. That means….I can paint!!! And my last class was last week too. So here’s a painting started from the model in class and finished up from a photo at home. I’m afraid I didn’t get a photo of just the from-life part, and I hope I’m not therefore breaking the rules.
Francis
12x16 Oil on Smooth Ampersand Panel
https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/att...d=1574749 660
As usual, photo is off - too dark. But you can get the idea, I think. I may try this at a larger scale, as it was too fussy trying to paint details, of the face and hands especially.

I painted for hours today and am exhausted but plan to come back to comment on the (terrific) work in the thread.
Attached Images

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:55 AM
Enthusiast

Ilya, thanks! Annie, great stuff -- I like all the warm colors. Don't worry about mixing in a bit of work from photos; you started from life, so it "counts."

I'm tired too, but already thinking about a theme for December. Open to suggestions!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:59 PM

I like Annie's (and Francis') colors too. I am trying, but failing to recall what was a (classic) painting I saw with a similar palette... but it looks very familiar.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2019, 05:31 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscatel
"Three Pumpkins", oil on canvas,

The place is chosen by a friend and we went to paint there together… I was glad to find plenty of pumpkins to paint...
Nice painting, mosc! Lovely soft lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
…Jessica and I went to our fave plein air location on Friday, New Yawk's Central Park, and we did another one in our continuing series of the Park,
here is my 8x10 :
I love the fall colors in this painting, Sid! The oranges play nicely with the blue in the sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik345
Moscatel, Sid, great colors! It's my favorite season, and you bring more of it! Here everything is already greenish-brown. We wanted to escape from the cold and went south of the Alps for a few days. Weather was not cooperating, but I took my portable mini-easel, more a table model, to test. It has no legs, so I had to sit, putting it on a log for the first and on a stack of cement blocks for the second one.

Well... I don't really like the results, those are just most simple sketches done in a rush, but posting to show I was not being an idling tourist. (And sorry for the screaming tree color on the second one).

Both are about 25x32 cm oil paper.

I like those, Mosc and they look like they could be developed into larger finished works if you’d want to. That table easel doesn’t sound too convenient. Have you ever considered a tiny cigar-box style easel? You put them on a tripod when you get to your location. Here's one manufacturer's website; there are many others. You have to reduce the amount of gear, but get reduced weight and bulk too.

Mosc and Ilya, Like Geoff, I envy your European adventures! And Ilya, I’d trade at least one season of fall colors with you if given the chance! …but only one season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius
Phew, it's been my busiest month of the year, so I'm sure glad we're not doing daily painting right now. I'm lucky to do one a week. But I think I'll be switching to semi-retirement in the spring, which will mean much more time for art. Yay!

Anyway, I did this portrait study today in life class, in about two hours. Pretty happy with it! "Moe," oil on linen panel, 11" x 14."

Moe is a terrific study, Geoff! I love, love, love the lighting and color. Bravo!

Mosc and Geoff, Trying to do daily paintings for any extended period is really rough. Who knows though, when I did both APAD and a similar challenge but every other day, I was still pretty green and excruciatingly slow. I’m still slow but more experienced now, so maybe I should try.

Quote:
This is a rather mediocre start, but I get another session this weekend to improve things. "Mallina (in progress)," oil on linen panel, 11" x 14." About 2 hours so far.

Quote:
And here's session 2 of the same model, reflecting about another 90 minutes' worth of work. Not enough time to finish it properly, but enough to improve the likeness and add some highlights. "Study of Mallina," oil on linen panel, 11" x 14," about 3-4 hours total.

Geoff, I like the color in this study and again the lighting is wonderful.

Quote:
Ilya, thanks! Annie, great stuff -- I like all the warm colors. Don't worry about mixing in a bit of work from photos; you started from life, so it "counts."

I'm tired too, but already thinking about a theme for December. Open to suggestions!

Thanks, Geoff! Heh...I had debated whether to ask if it was OK to post first, but decided to just go for it. I’m glad I didn’t break the rules. For a December theme, how about “Bah, Humbug?” j/k (Although with Christmas decorations in stores before Halloween where I am, I sometimes really do feel that way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik345
I like Annie's (and Francis') colors too. I am trying, but failing to recall what was a (classic) painting I saw with a similar palette... but it looks very familiar.
Thanks Ilya! If you remember the painting my piece reminds you of, please let me know.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 11-26-2019 at 05:40 PM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2019, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, Annie, thanks for all those great comments! It's the busy day before Thanksgiving here in the States, and yet you found the time to make such a thoughtful post. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-27-2019, 03:36 PM

Annie, thank you for comments! I saw an old thread with Sid showing how he's built a pochade box that can be attached to a tripod. I gave it a thought, but... first I will see how often will I need it. I was fine to sit down, the only problem was that the one with lighthouse is too realistic that way. With low position in a really strong wind, I got REAL sand on it.

I know why you would trade only one season, we lived in Ontario for some time. In Western Europe, few people can imagine those totally crazy colors. Eastern Europe is great for that, but more beautiful yellows and less orange/red.