Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting x-post from the landscape forum "red moon" oil on canvas 120cmx90cm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    snap40

Hi Everyone,

This is my latest Painting C&C Welcome although i have a feeling that Black Canvas paintings aren’t really popular in the oil Painting Forum.

The lighting in here makes it very difficult to make a decent photo, will be investing in new lighting soon i hope!! Does anyone have a good tipp on the best lighting for painting as well as taking pictures of paintings?

Thanks for looking!!

midwest

I’d like to know more about lighting also. Very nice painting.

Kathie :

In my experience the best lighting for pictures is daylight but not direct sunlight. Keep it in the shadow. Most basic cameras have an issue with white balance with indoor lighting. Professional photography lighing with difuser may be your other choice. In my experience, placing a blank white paper next to the painting inside the shot helps the camera gauge the white balance.

-Yevgeniy

Custom Cut Wood panels
            http://Rochesterlaserart.com

snap40

Thanks midwest :) And thank you kruglovefinearts for the tipps :)

snoball

The red over the black canvas is very eye catching.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                    My work on Facebook

snap40

thanks snoball ! I like the black canvas paintings and they are fun to do if you just want to relax and enjoy yourself. They aren’t anywhere near the caliber of most of the people here in the forum but still good practice as well.

AnnieA

This looks very eerie, which must have been what you were going for with the blood-red lighting and threatening branches. Fun painting. Good job!

It’s always helpful to use a tripod when taking photos of paintings. I generally take multiple shots, trying different white balance settings (presuming your camera has them – different scene modes often help too). Then, when I take the images to my computer, where I can see them much better because of the larger screen, I select the best one, deleting the others.

I’ve also been moving the piece around so the photos are taken with different amounts of light falling on them. As someone upthread mentioned, the best approach is outdoors on a bright day, but photographed in shade. That’s not always possible in dead of winter, so I’ve found that using GIMP and other photo editing programs can often produce an acceptable, although not always quite accurate, image.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                            [FONT=Palatino]
                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

snap40

Thank you AnnieA.I used my mobil phone for the picture but i actually have a pretty good camera i could test out too :) i will use it next time!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • The topic ‘x-post from the landscape forum "red moon" oil on canvas 120cmx90cm’ is closed to new replies.