Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Caligo safe-wash does not dry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    vicile

I tried printing lino prints with Caligo safe-wash.
        The prints don’t dry, even after six weeks.
        Have any of you experienced this problem?
        I will be grateful to have an advice how to dry the prints.
        This is a big disappointment.

pressmaker

What kind of paper do you use?

vicile

Two kinds of paper, fabriano ingres paper 90 grams and some thin Arche paper (don’t have the name). They both won’t dry for weeks.

My advice would be to ditch the Caligo Safewash ink and go back to more traditional inks.

I’ve been printing for many, many years…. and I’ve seen countless “alternative” and/or “safer” inks and washes come and go on the marketplace. Inevitably they lead to problems with drying, or poor ink coverage or whatever. Then the new material goes off the market…. only to be replaced by some other product. I also do a lot of letterpress, and that community went down the road of using veggie-oil for cleaning rollers, which created a serious decline in print quality. Now they are returning to more traditional materials and the problems are slowly going away.

That being said, this is not to say you must use harsh solvents if you don’t feel they are safe. There are a number of water-based inks, especially Japanese-style materials that print very well and wash up with water. McClains has some very good inks that are safe, easy to use, and actually dry on the paper.

About drying your prints: Caligo dries by oxidization of the veggie oil base, and this can be sped up two ways. 1. is by increasing the airflow over the ink surface and 2. by increasing the temperature…. which speeds up the chemical reaction. Lowering the humidity will also help. If you can, hang the prints on a clothes-line in your spare bedroom
                and turn the heater on while keeping the air circulating. If you don’t have the room, then you might try baking the prints in the oven at maybe 200 degrees F for a few hours, then spreading them out on a table to cool. Other than that, your only real option is to wait.

Finally, you may want to look at how much ink you are putting onto the paper. Many inks don’t like to dry if they are put down in a very thick layer. Of course I don’t know if this is applicable in your case, but it’s worth considering.

"Political Correctness" is just another way to muzzle free expression

bridog

I checked out a website for a company that may have taken over Caligo ink in the UK. Anyhow they recommend addition of drying agents to speed up the process. http://www.cranfield-colours.co.uk/printmaking-inks/etching-inks/
                    as for sourcing these drying agents you might have to look at suppliers for oil painting materials.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                    visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

vicile

Thank you, Dave, for your detailed answer, I will try to dry my prints in the oven… I hope that I will not have to reprint them again.
                        About other inks, I tried speedball water-based ink, and found it dull and the black looks matte and flat.
                        You mentioned McClains inks, could you please give me the exact name of the product and, as well, of Japanese-style inks you mentioned.
                        I live in Israel, there is a small choice of materials here, so I have to order inks from Europe or U.S.A.

vicile

Anyhow they recommend addition of drying agents to speed up the process.

Yes Brian, I thought about this solution, I will make some tests with the caligo paint I already have. Thanks

contumacious

Same problem for me with Caligo straight out of the tube.

I have some prints that are almost 4 years old on standard BFK paper and they will still rub off ink on your finger. Thankfully I only have one tube of it.

I’ve been experimenting recently with drypoint / a la poupee. A la poupee (for those who don’t know) is when you print intaglio with more than one colour directly on the plate in one run.

The black (that had been been wiped on the grooves burrs) worked well, but I found when I painted various colours on the plate surface (which would have been thicker than the black) it didn’t dry. This was only the other week and I was quite surprised it didn’t dry.

So Caligo works well for me when I’m just printing lines in black.

RobbieK

I also had a challenge in getting the Caligo Safe-Wash to dry

"You can't be that kid standing at the top of the water slide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute". Tina Fey

vicile

finally, I baked my prints in my kitchen oven for some hours, it worked fine and no damage to the paper.
                                        For my future prints, I will add one of the drying agents to speed up the process, I hope it will dry well.
                                        Thank you all.

mortenr

In my experience the drying time of Caligo inks seems to vary with the paper used and of course the amount of ink applied to the plate. Earlier woodcuts I handprinted on thin rice paper with a blue Caligo ink took a long time to dry.

Yesterday I made some woodcuts on Johannot 125g paper using a Caligo magenta ink, and these prints were quite dry just after printing. These were printed using a press wich allowed me to apply less ink to the plate.

With the Caligo etching inks I have not had any drying problems.

RobbieK

I had trouble with drying when using these inks also.

"You can't be that kid standing at the top of the water slide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute". Tina Fey

I use caligo safe-wash ink and I love it. It takes about a week to dry. I am using a kozo rice paper for non-reduction prints. A small amount of drying agent if you are doing multi layers of ink. Here is a batch i did with single layer. It is dry to the touch after 6 days. I will give it a couple more days just in case.

Baggywrinkle

I use Caligo with no problem, but not relief as such. I use the etching extender with oil paint on collagraphs both intaglio and rollovers. I have recently bought their relief extender, but have not used it enough to say for certain, but it seems ok. I will get some driers if it is a problem for some applications. I work in a shed in rainy ol’ England.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.