WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:08 PM

M. Graham lovers, what supplemental colors do I need?

I am returning to an old flame after many years...watercolors. Iíve chosen M. Graham as my main brand simply because a local art supplier carries the brand at a great price and letís face it, when you run out of a color in the middle of a project, you need an immediate fix. Who wants to wait on the UPS guy when you have wet paint on your palette?

My question is this. Because M. Graham has a smaller range of colors and because other manufacturers pigments often differ from one another, what additional colors from other brands do you add to your palette? For example, I love Quinacridone Burnt Orange and Quinacridone Magenta but they are not included in the M. Graham color line.

Since I paint a wide variety of subjects, Iím not worried about specific palettes (landscape vs portrait, vs abstract, etc), Iíd love to hear from everyone regardless of your favorite style.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Hails from United States
Re: M. Graham lovers, what supplemental colors do I need?

My understanding is that quinacridone burnt orange in Daniel Smith and quinacridone rust in M. Graham are the same. But it is unfortunate about the lack of a PR122/PR202.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 PM

well, this is a good time to experiment with other red, I highly recommend Quin Red (PR209)

here is a video demonstrating PR209: -> Quinacridone Coral, Benzimida Yellow, Manganese Blue Hue (Limited Palette)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:25 PM

Violet, the DS is slightly more orange than the M Graham. Denise Sodenís In Living Color site has some really nice comparison photos. Once I collect all the colors I want to start with, Iíll experiment with different brands. I am definitely looking for brand suggestions for the magenta and red thatís missing from the M Graham line.

Calvin, do you prefer a specific brand over other manufacturers? Pigment saturation varies among brands and the difference in binders causes the paints to behave differently. I love the Quinacridones, so Iíll probably end up trying identical colors across the manufacturers.

Last edited by Chaas78 : 07-11-2019 at 09:31 PM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaas78
Calvin, do you prefer a specific brand over other manufacturers? Pigment saturation varies among brands and the difference in binders causes the paints to behave differently. I love the Quinacridones, so Iíll probably end up trying identical colors across the manufacturers.

well, i have yet develop a preference... but i only used winsor and newton and holbein...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 02:37 PM

I've been an MGr fan for awhile, appreciating the goopy honey-based quality of their paints. The "missing" pigments, like quin. magenta (PR122) I find in Sennelier's lineup- they also use honey as a binder. I find the Sennelier watercolors not as goopy and a little dull and they dry up quicker in the palette. For me, MGr's quin. rose works just as well as magenta, makes fantastic violets, and is a little more versatile.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 05:10 AM

I'd add in Qor Quinacridone Magenta and Holbein Cobalt Violet Light. And perhaps Winsor & Newton Cadmium Scarlet, Brown Madder (PR206) and Permanent Sap Green (PG36+PY110); however they can be easily mixed and it's probably best to have the separate unmixed colors instead for greater versatility.

Last edited by jyaan : 07-21-2019 at 05:17 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2019, 05:48 AM

Oops sorry. Totally misread

Last edited by RealSpringJames : 07-25-2019 at 05:52 AM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2019, 06:21 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaas78
I am returning to an old flame after many years...watercolors. Iíve chosen M. Graham as my main brand simply because a local art supplier carries the brand at a great price and letís face it, when you run out of a color in the middle of a project, you need an immediate fix. Who wants to wait on the UPS guy when you have wet paint on your palette?

My question is this. Because M. Graham has a smaller range of colors and because other manufacturers pigments often differ from one another, what additional colors from other brands do you add to your palette? For example, I love Quinacridone Burnt Orange and Quinacridone Magenta but they are not included in the M. Graham color line.

Since I paint a wide variety of subjects, Iím not worried about specific palettes (landscape vs portrait, vs abstract, etc), Iíd love to hear from everyone regardless of your favorite style.

If you can get M Graham for a good price I'd suggest you might need very little else.
Their range is far from limited. Most of the paints on my palette are M Graham. In addition some paints from other manufacturers I consider excellent: PY150 nickel azo Windsor and Newton, PR171 Benzimidazolone Maroon Daniel Smith, PB16 phthalo turquoise Holbein, PBK31 perylene black Daniel Smith, PV23 Dioxazine Violet Winsor and Newton, PR122 Maimeri, PY129 azo green Winsor and Newton . These are either nonexistent in MG range or better than the MG versions.

(C&C Welcomed.)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2019, 11:35 PM
Northwest suburbs of Chicago

"My question is this. Because M. Graham has a smaller range of colors and because other manufacturers pigments often differ from one another, what additional colors from other brands do you add to your palette?"

I like to have Buff Titanium by Daniel Smith on my palette, but M. Graham does not seem to have a comparable color.