Home Forums Explore Media Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials Rub’N Buff Gold Leaf with Oil Painting?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    alvinkevin

Has anyone used this thing called; Rub’N Buff Gold Leaf ? It is like an alternative to gold leaf, and it is mainly used to paint frames.
        I was wondering would it be okay to use with oil painting once it is touch dry?

Cerastes

This won’t be real helpful but yes back in the day when I was more adventurous I covered two small canvases with it and painted some botanicals over it with oils. The result seemed to work okay but I was too worried about it being non-archival and having to explain to a buyer if the results failed, so I ended up tossing those paintings. I understand the temptation to find workable substitutes for gold leaf. In the end I decided it was easier and safer to just do without.

"If we're going to be damned, let's be dammed for what we really are."
            -Captain Picard

Cyndi L

A lot of mixed media artists use it because it is able to stick to many surfaces, is much less expensive than real leaf, and comes in different metallic colors too. BUT, I agree with Cerastes. Consider how much you value the painting you’ve done and make your decision accordingly. Rubbing it on an upcycled piece of wood is one thing, using it on your oil paintings may be different.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.