Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Isaro Pink, a valid replacement for Opera Rose?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    calvin_0

Today I came across a watercolor brand call Isaro, and in the video there is a paint call Isaro Pink which is made from PR122 which look like Opera Rose but doesnt look like it have BV10 since it’s not as bright.. this is more apparent in the later video after the swatches has dried…

the info in jackson art listed lightfastness for Isaro Pink as excellent, the same rating for Isaro’s Burnt Umber (PBr7)

Watercolour review: Isaro Watercolours

So does anyone here has experience with Isaro paint? does Isaro Pink has the same hue as Opera Rose?

briantmeyer

If its PR122 its going to be pretty much lightfast.

If its brighter than PR122, it has some BV10 or another additive like it.

In general, the BV10 color is going to not be captured in photos, videos, scans, etc very well, its far brighter than the normal gamut. You have to see it in person to see its actual color.

If its brighter than PR122 and it says PR122, they are not disclosing something. Yes this happens, there is no requirement to disclose, its entirely voluntary. Further you should be doing lightfastness testing yourself. Usually if it uses PR122 it fades down to that PR122, and you might not even notice on a finished painting unless you had a portion covered up – it just loses some of that intensity.

Note that if you are mixing it with other colors, you can lose that intensity quickly and it can look just like PR122 or even duller which makes its fading even more of a problem, strongly suggest using PR122 for mixing, and reserving this color for just where you need that intense hot pink as a single pigment.

I would suggest getting a dot card from daniel smith, they have various Quinacridone pinks ( fucshia for example, there are about 8 of them ), which are not as intense in color as opera, but give you different rather intense pink values. I started comparing them but kind of gave up on finding something better, as PR122 is pretty close and it largely comes down to taste. What this color is, if its lightfast, is likely one of these other quinacridones.

Marshall

I would suggest getting a dot card from daniel smith, they have various Quinacridone pinks ( fucshia for example, there are about 8 of them ), which are not as intense in color as opera, but give you different rather intense pink values.

I’m curious. Does anyone use these dot cards for filling in colors on their normal palette? By this I mean if for example you have a need for a small area in a painting to be Isaro pink then you use the dot card rather than buying a whole tube of paint that you may never use again. Obviously you couldn’t sue it to paint large areas.

Just curious.

Marshall
                Living the retired life in NE Florida

Kaylen

that could probably be done once, but the cards generally are not free.some of the dots are pretty small , they cover about 1-4 sq inch , maybe a bit more in some colors

Kaylen Savoie
                    https://www.savoieartist.com/
                    At least twice a year,paint something better than you ever painted before.

Calvin, if you’re never sure about a particular brand or colour, do your own lightfast testing!

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

calvin_0

Note that if you are mixing it with other colors, you can lose that intensity quickly and it can look just like PR122 or even duller which makes its fading even more of a problem, strongly suggest using PR122 for mixing, and reserving this color for just where you need that intense hot pink as a single pigment.

I’m planing to use my opera rose just for pink… quin red (PR209) is my main mixing red, so that isnt changing anytime soon.. i’m also thinking just to use opera as a booster for my quin magenta (PR122) which is my current to go cool pink..

as for daniel smith dot card, that isnt something that i can get easier here in asia.. i could get it from jackson art, but i have to get the whole range.. seems a bit wasteful just to get the quin range.. but I do plan to get a tube of quin pink (PV42) from daniel smith to test as a possible replacement for opera in the future.. Rhodonite Genuine also look promising..

janinco

Jane Blundell has swatches of Isaro’s watercolors and it looks more like my quin rose than quin magenta. I’ve seen several people mention that rhodonite does start to turn a bit brown as it’s oxidized.

https://janeblundellart.blogspot.com/2018/03/isaro-watercolours.html

Jan

calvin_0

I’ve seen several people mention that rhodonite does start to turn a bit brown as it’s oxidized.

[URL]https://janeblundellart.blogspot.com/2018/03/isaro-watercolours.html[/URL]

Jan

thanks for the heads up

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.