WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2019, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

how to value a sale

hi guys!
i hope you don't mind talking about a graphite work for a bit?

i was wondering about pricing politics these days, how do you reason when selling the rights to a (graphite) drawing for use in PR material? i'm a nobody, plus i intend to be very kind and for a good reason. plus i love the buyer's cause and considered gifting the piece, then started dreaming of doing a different version with either ink or line&wash. the exposure of this work will be very limited (geographically) but it will matter.

i would basically just want to understand exactly what i'm doing when doing this, to be in charge of the difference between being generous and being a fool. oh and this is in europe, it probably plays a part as well?

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: how to value a sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsu18
hi guys!

i was wondering about pricing politics these days, how do you reason when selling the rights to a (graphite) drawing for use in PR material? i'm a nobody, plus i intend to be very kind and for a good reason. plus i love the buyer's cause and considered gifting the piece, then started dreaming of doing a different version with either ink or line&wash. the exposure of this work will be very limited (geographically) but it will matter.

i would basically just want to understand exactly what i'm doing when doing this, to be in charge of the difference between being generous and being a fool. oh and this is in europe, it probably plays a part as well?

Well, being a "nobody" & given that "this work will be very limited (geographically)".
Logically speaking - you have little to lose & little to gain !
Perhaps a small something for your portfolio at best if you had wished to pursue this in a wider context as a larger money making project ?
I mean a small something is bigger than a massive nothing !
Publicity & being published in any form IS worth it ,what's to lose ?
But NO perhaps don't dream yet & put your energies into a new pen & wash reinterpretation - that will just lead to resentment & regret.
Have you scanned the pencil in greyscale ?, how does that work ?
You could add had pen lines either digitally or literally by drawing on a greyscale print, not much bother really.
Oh that was business , I forgot ! "you have good reason to be kind" - then just do it but just in the manner suggested above .

Well that's the way I think anyway !
Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 09-25-2019 at 07:32 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2019, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

Re: how to value a sale

thank you Mike!
what a difference a few sensible words can make!
all value in this enterprise is well beyond huge and it has nothing at all to do with money. i envisioned the conversation ahead with the buyer and suddenly felt like a moron trying to find business expressions and it stole my confidence.

technically, we'll use a camera not a scanner, but as the picture will be blown up times fifty, someone else is taking the photo, i've concerns....... wish i had my old gear here, wacom&al, but i get around with a pencil quite comfortably. there will be a second version, but only to guard the good that is already in play, time is not a concern. probably a third version as well, as the diluted ink washes are made for the subject but ink is new to me. feeling grounded and happy, thank you again!

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso