Home Forums The Learning Center Teacher’s Toolbox Cheapest places to buy art supplies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    yoyita_yoyita

I have had a great response with this one
        Rex art They have free shipping in orders over $100.00

Perhaps we could build a list.

http://www.Yoyita.com
        Mensa, ISPE, ASOPA, Association of Tempera Painters, IFUW, Sculptor's Society.

Alan Cross

The prices do seem pretty good but not many brands…..none I use…
            Alan :)

My Web Site[/url]
            Our wedding photo's

just dave

A lot of stuff I can get at the local Michael’s and/or AC Moore craft stores, and they both have regular 40% coupons and sometimes even 50%.

For the stuff I have to get from an artists store I will stop by Pearl Art, Utrecht, Pla-za, or The Art Store when I am heading down to the DC area for artistic or educational endeavors on a weekend.

For things they don’t stock or if there is a good sale I get most of the remaining things I need from Jerry’s Art-a-rama or Dick Blick. I have gotten a few things from Daniel Smith and other places; but, for online purchases, I mostly use Jerrys’!

Dave...a student of the visual arts

Alan Cross

Michael’s has never being a good place for me….but a few of the on line places work very good Dick Black and cheap joes are both goood..

My Web Site[/url]
                    Our wedding photo's

yoyita_yoyita

I just had a bad experience.

I used to have Dick Blick in high standars, until my latest order, I wanted to try the Russian pastels, and ordered a set, they came out broken, and packed badly. I called them and they said, yes they will replace them, but I should expect some broken because they were coming from Russia. When I asked how many were “some” more than 10? less than 10? they couldn’t answer.

You will think that now a days shipping has improved enough to do not get broken items, mostly when they are shipped with careless packing.

I understand some things get broken, but the lack of care makes you think to spend your money somewhere else.

Mkent41616

you must have been ordering the Yarka pastels. In all difference to Dickblick. They don’t have much control over how a company ships them the pastels and from my own experience the Yarka pastels are packed badly in a wooden box.

now i do apload dickblick offering to replace them but please realise that pastels especially soft pastels break fairly eeasily.

Alan Cross

I have heard the Yarka pastels often come broken but they are quite cheap so you get what you pay for…

My Web Site[/url]
                                Our wedding photo's

yoyita_yoyita

My concern wasn’t just the yarka pastels broken, it was they were improperly packed by Dick Blick and the carelessness of the company.

It could have been any other item. Hey I guess I have a good collection of pastels in different brands, Unison, Sennelier, Rembrandt etc.

I don’t think that the selling company should package inferiorly the Yarka. The second box arrived well, better packed of course, fewer broken.

The Yarka come in a wooden box, with no sponge between the sticks, but if properly packed they will arrive well, like any other item.

Alan Cross

[i]Originally posted by yoyita_yoyita [/i]
                                        [B]My concern wasn’t just the yarka pastels broken, it was they were improperly packed by Dick Blick and the carelessness of the company.

It could have been any other item. Hey I guess I have a good collection of pastels in different brands, Unison, Sennelier, Rembrandt etc.

I don’t think that the selling company should package inferiorly the Yarka. The second box arrived well, better packed of course, fewer broken.

The Yarka come in a wooden box, with no sponge between the sticks, but if properly packed they will arrive well, like any other item. [/B]

Yes I have seen there box…not much room to move funny they break….oh well at least you are happy now eh?

My Web Site[/url]
                                        Our wedding photo's

Alan Cross

I have checked the prices here and it seems to be pretty good …
                                            Curry’s http://currys.com/ and they also have free shiping…

My Web Site[/url]
                                            Our wedding photo's

pampe

CHEAP JOES also has free shipping over $250

ASWexpress.com has excellent prices

DickBlick has been known for poor shipping practices

For pastels…DAKOTA PASTELS is always the best….but not the cheapest

You can often get GOOD quality pastels and paint and paper on EBAY…I got most of my pastels that way

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Pam
                                                My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular. ~~~~Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

KachinaBlue

Jerry’s Artarama, hands down. Nobody is cheaper, including Cheap Joe’s. I’ve been buying art supplies for a quarter of a century and nobody beats Jerry’s for almost everything. Utrecht is good for canvas, especially linen, but their paint is just so so. Cheap though if you use it up right away. Some colors have hardened in the tubes for me. Novacolor is the best for paint in jars and very, very reasonable. Dick Blick has tons of stuff, but definitely not the cheapest place to buy art supplies. Pearl is good, but not especially cheap. Same with Daniel Smith. Forget Michael’s and any local art supply stores. They are way too high! Clark

P.S. Forgot to say Novacolor is acrylic paint only.

kittyart

:clap: RE: Cheap Supplie (FREE, actually)
                                                        Columbus, OH has recycled items donated from companies, & individuals.
                                                        Artists, students & teachers have access. Yearly membership ($35 student)
                                                        entitles access. It’s thru partnership once called REart, but also with Rumpke. Located West side of city, Fisher Road. Interesting stuff.

jerry lucey

Cheap Joe is my man. I like the way they do business. My introduction to Joe is a story in itself. About 12 years ago I met Joe fishing on a stream that ran out of the Smoky Mts National Park, my cabin was on the stream and I liked to sit out there and paint. And one day along came Joe rod in hand….Cheap Joe the fisherman.

have a good one…jerry

Jerry Lucey
                                                            Acrylic Watercolor

Rats! I get an arts and crafts supply catalog annually from a company that caters to teachers, but I can’t think of the name…I’ll post again if I do, but I found a lot of places while Googling “teacher’s art supply,” and my personal favorite for a truly eccentric and constantly changing selection of stuff is American Science and Surplus (http://www.sciplus.com/), who have one of the funniest mail order catalogs you’re likely to ever see…

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam – easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam – easy as 1-2-3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Cheapest places to buy art supplies’ is closed to new replies.