Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Tiny 3D Printed Porcelain Palettes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    janinco

This was an interesting demo:

https://youtu.be/RmwpbIi047o

The palette has 37 wells. They sell for about $55 (US dollars).
        https://www.shapeways.com/product/R2ZVTJJKX/travel-sized-watercolor-palette?optionId=63074759&li=marketplace

Jan

Mikey B.

I do believe I will stick with 3 primary colors and a tube of Paynes grey..lol,thats mucho paint

Today I'm just going to care what Jesus cares about..

I didn’t know that porcelain can be 3D printed. I know for sure that ceramic can be molded.

[antv]9xumZRmBPOg[/antv]

I have the notion that these tiny palettes are way too expensive no matter how they are made.

KiwiNessie

Stephanie Law uses one of these and after following the link I realised it is her shop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gMJmGfDxSc

Vanessa
                Made in NZ

Dolphinfsg

They are not porcelain, but I 3D print plastic palettes for altoid cases. They are great for when I don’t have room to bring my larger palettes on the go.

I think that these mini palettes are made of ceramic that is enameled afterwards.
                    Porcelain needs some very specialized ovens that work in very high temperatures to be made and 3D prints are not made by porcelain or ceramic but from plastic.

Mikey B.

I’m currently on a quest to find either a larger than large Butchers tray or a sheet of porcelain or any other surface suitable for water color paint,[NOT PLASTIC}sized to fit the right side of my table top same dimensions ,it will give me all the room I need and after a painting session spray and wipe to get ready for the next painting..this should be the watercolor table of all watercolor tables if my plan comes into focus..

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/butchers-tray-palettes

17 inches is about 43 cm. If this isn’t big enough then check at the cook shops for a large white enameled oven pan. :)

Mikey B.

thks marialena,sorry bout the typing got a guitar in one hand,multitasking..lol

ic.Art

I think that these mini palettes are made of ceramic that is enameled afterwards.
                                Porcelain needs some very specialized ovens that work in very high temperatures to be made and 3D prints are not made by porcelain or ceramic but from plastic.

Hi. I am a potter as well as painting and yes, there are 3D printers for porcelain. The porcelain recipe and the extrusion tubes are configured for the coarser nature of ceramic ‘pastes’ but basically they print just like ABS plastics do.
                                The high firing of the porcelain is a seperate process, the temperature chosen depends on the chemistry and the intended use of the product.

See link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKQB5GKCMPw

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

No problem. :) Another option would be to use a large piece of glass painted white in its underside. There are ready made ones too.
                                Glass has same characteristics a porcelain and you can order it at any size you like.

oldey

Yes I was going to suggest glass too Marialena!
                                    As for 3d printing I want 3d printed watercolor pans the size of Spanish palette pans because they are bigger than the standard full pan. I have not had time to explore getting that formula on my own. Someday maybe I can.

EmmaTwo

I’m currently on a quest to find either a larger than large Butchers tray or a sheet of porcelain or any other surface suitable for water color paint,[NOT PLASTIC}sized to fit the right side of my table top same dimensions ,it will give me all the room I need and after a painting session spray and wipe to get ready for the next painting..this should be the watercolor table of all watercolor tables if my plan comes into focus..

You might look into white glass custom cut.

Mikey B.

You might look into white glass custom cut.

Thanks Emma…

ΟΚ ..I was thinking about this yesterday and I had a funny idea.
                                            What you need is something like this :lol::

The covers (lids) of such vintage cooking appliances were enameled and they were huge. Check if you can find any vintage non working cooking appliance at a local market to get its cover. You can then cut it or use it as it is to cover part of the table. It is made usually by enameled steel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.