Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges Oil pastel challenge and chat for February 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

It’s already February!
    Welcome to the challenge and chat thread.
    I hope you find something that you’d like to paint from this list of references. When posting, please mention the size of your artwork. Feel free to ask questions:wave:
    Grandpas clock by Wthrlady

Nuthatch by Dave Slaughter

Norwegian forest cat by Merethe t

Trumpet creeper by Prasanna

Chairs on porch by Lisilk

Anna in bibs by Kate Green

Christel

Boat by lisilk

Alpine lake by scc1989

Hottentots Holland by Jan Hendrik

Yosemite by Imaginationcounts

Balloon by Rhiannon1

Christel

IsobelW

Decided to challenge myself. Faces are difficult. Size A4. Highlights were done with oil paint and eyelashes with colour pencil.

Lovely, Isobel. Do watch out with using white in the skintones. Rather use peach, light orange and salmon pink.

Christel

IsobelW

Thanks for the advice! I was not sure how to get the skin light enough without using white, but I think I overdid it.

IsobelW

Early stages of the lake. I have to experiment with colours. Use an awl to scratch out the leaves and grass but it does not show up too well on the scanner. Advice would be welcome,particularly about the textures of grass and bushes.

Rich A

Christel, love the photos. Lots to choose from! I can’t believe January just flew by…

Good going, Isobel. I can see your scratches. This technique works best if you lay down a light layer and blend it into the paper, then you add another darker layer over that and blend lightly.
                    You have some lovely dark blue texture in the water. You can use that technique – adding color without blending – for texture for the trees and grasses, applying just enough as highlights. If too much is added you can scrape away to the first layer. For your painting you could try white, cream, yellow ochre and peach to indicate lighter highlights. Use as you would do with a color pencil.
                    I like to use a Dermatograph marker for something like the left tree trunks for the fine lines.
                    The water can get some tiny white marks as ripples.

Christel

Rich A

Great start on the mountain scene Isobel! The textures in the foreground are perfect. That bright green is perfect for the foreground and textures read very well.

To help really bring that texture out, I suggest to considerably lighten the value of the mountains. They are too dark, and come forward and it’s competing with the foreground. To make them lighter, you can take that same color you have in sky and blend it over the mountains. You might need some light greys too. I would start there. lighten them, blend to smooth and your foreground textures will pop as is!

Work on the back part of the painting. The mountains should have more blues/grey and should be much lighter… and your darkest values should be in shadows of the river bank, and nearest trees. You are very close

Thanks Rich. Good tips.

Christel

Rich A

Here’s my take on the Yosemite lake scene. 12×16 inches mungyos/senns on arches cold press. Good water and underwater practice. Thanks for the pics Christel and your advice for Isobel is spot on. I’ve done that scratch back technique before with great success.

Lovely work, Rich. I had a feeling you might like this one.

Christel

My version of the trumpet creeper A4

Christel

terriks

What a nice round of photos this month – thanks, Christel!

I like your version of the trumpet creeper, although it is showing up rather dark overall on my monitor.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

terriks

Isobel, you’ve been busy! :) One comment on the child’s portrait – take a careful look at certain background elements in photos, and ask yourself if they are important enough to actually include in your painting. In this case, I think this photo is a quick snap of this cute little girl, but whatever she is standing in front of could be ignored – it would make a stronger portrait. (I agree with what Christel is saying about the skin tones.)

Nice start with the lake, too – your water and sky both look really good so far!

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.