WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 12:10 PM

sable brushes for oil painting

hello friends, this brushes is suitable for oil painting?

http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/cat-win...ur-brushes.htm

thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 12:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States
Re: sable brushes for oil painting

Sure.

Now, they're short-handled ("watercolour") brushes, so they probably don't come in the "larger" sizes used for painting "larger" paintings in oil. But, for smaller paintings--or for painting the detailed areas in larger works--they should work just fine.

Keep in mind, you could paint in oils for a lifetime (and make wonderful paintings!) without ever using a sable brush.

Personally, I would find it difficult to paint in oils using only sables.

But, for blending, glazing, and/or details (again, if that's your thing), sables are very useful!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM

sables used to be the best before the invention of synthetic materials but really synthetic brushes are just as good as sables and they are way cheaper, there's really no reason to buy sables anymore except to be a fancypants .

everyone has their preferences though .
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Mendelsohn
sables used to be the best before the invention of synthetic materials but really synthetic brushes are just as good as sables and they are way cheaper, there's really no reason to buy sables anymore except to be a fancypants.

Nope.

The local art supply store has discontinued their "house line" of brushes, and is selling everything that remains for 80 percent off list price. While they last, you can buy a long-handled sable brush much cheaper than even a base-line synthetic!

Some of the really good soft synthetic brushes in the smaller sizes (and, granted, they are very good) cost as much (if not more) than sable (again, in the smaller sizes).

And, I still think a good argument can be made that sables are still better; that there are some thigns that sables can do, that even the best synthetics, alas, canno.

I use both, and both have their place.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 02:34 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

The best brushes I have used for watercolor are these Series 7 Winsor Newton real sable. They are made for optimum response using watercolors, the tip comes to a nice point, and control of delivery is superb. Cheaper watercolor brushes don't compare to them in quality.
I have several good oil sables like Raphaels and Connoseiurs and they work nicely, but I must baby them.
Using them with oils, I tend to wear real sables out, rendering them splayed out etc.
Most of the wear I think comes from needing to clean them a bit more aggressively than watercolors require.
I don't know what these WN series 7 brushes are like with oils, I would have to try them out but I think they would perform nicely.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Mendelsohn
sables used to be the best before the invention of synthetic materials but really synthetic brushes are just as good as sables and they are way cheaper, there's really no reason to buy sables anymore except to be a fancypants .

everyone has their preferences though .

I'm gonna have to disagree and say that nobody uses sables for any other reason other than that they perform well. As far as rounds go, I have yet to find a synthetic brush that performs nearly as well as a real sable.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

I doubt anyone except the richest hobbyists use anything just to be fancypants. The sad truth is with cheap supplies often you are fighting your supplies so much that it gets in the way of painting. A beautiful brush can make a beautiful mark.

The sad part is beginners often cannot afford the nicer brushes that would make painting easier for them. The more expert painters might be better fit to fight cheap materials and still make beautiful marks and keep control of a inferior product.

I was lucky, when I started painting I only bought a very few, very nice brushes and one cheap gesso brush. It made learning to paint a pleasure. Now, I can usually make a cheaper version do what I want for some parts of the work and save the more expensive brushes for the focal points and important passages of the painting.

I love my sable brushes! I only have a couple, and I save them for the good stuff.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Sweden

Hails from Sweden

look for mongoose brushes.. instead of sable.. sable wear out fast
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Here is a previous thread that addresses the sad issues that are associated with real mongoose brushes. I was glad the poll showed that the majority were not in favor of using the real thing.
Winsor Newton Monarch brushes are synthetic mongoose and I do use them also, they are outstanding.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 06-20-2011 at 08:34 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks for pointing out that thread Sid. Bad enough sable is still used but there's no excuse for using mongoose.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2011, 11:52 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
East of Eden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Russell
Keep in mind, you could paint in oils for a lifetime (and make wonderful paintings!) without ever using a sable brush.
For myself, I agree. The extent to which I use sables in an oil painting is the extent to which I have not yet mastered the use of a brush. I use them as seldom as possible, and when I do it is a retreat, and I hope to someday need them not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbledsoe
The best brushes I have used for watercolor are these Series 7 Winsor Newton real sable.
+1, those are awesome for inking.
Quote:
Here is a previous thread that addresses the sad issues that are associated with real mongoose brushes. I was glad the poll showed that the majority were not in favor of using the real thing.
+100, and a thank you to Ron (and now to you) for bringing the issue to our attention.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Sacramento, CA

Hails from United Kingdom

I really like sable brushes they have a certain spring and return to a point better than any synthetics I have tried and can be bought online for less than synthetics at local stores. I buy my sables from trekell and think they are as good as the series 7 for a fraction of the price.

I usually spend about $50 2/3 times a year and buy a dozen or so sables for detailing. The rest I just buy synthetics and like to try a range of different brands and styles.

I also like hog bristles, they do seem to hold more paint if you get good ones, a bit more of a pain to clean though, the tips of the hairs split into three and hold paint that is hard to wash out. You can get longer strokes out of them.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Quote:
Winsor Newton Monarch brushes are synthetic mongoose and I do use them also, they are outstanding.

i buy mongoose only from Rosemary so far I know, she buy from German growers who dont kill mongoose
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2011, 08:13 AM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasis
i buy mongoose only from Rosemary so far I know, she buy from German growers who dont kill mongoose
Rosemary Co. is a partner and in their forum above this question was asked in this thread.
Quote:
Yes we use mongoose - it is not an endangered species - the pelts are used in the fur trade but not the high street fashion stores for people who live in minus conditions and wear to keep alive. We only use the tails which are a byproduct and were thrown away until fairly recently.
Quote:
the mongoose tails are a byproduct and rest assured no animal is killed to make the brushes here!
They say they use the tails which is a by product and the pelts are used for fur clothing. From what I can get from that, they are saying that they do not kill them themselves as they say, none are killed "here". Until I hear that the brush maker keeps a mongoose as a pet and only uses hair that is naturally shed then I would assume that they are still harvested and killed somewhere at the source.

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 06-21-2011 at 08:25 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Quote:
Rosemary Co. is a partner and in their forum above this question was asked in this thread.

They say they use the tails which is a by product and the pelts are used for fur clothing. From what I can get from that, they are saying that they do not kill them themselves as they say "here". Until I hear that the brush maker keeps mongoose as pets and only uses hair that is naturally shed then I would assume that they are still harvested and killed somewhere at the source.

yeah there are many things that wrong. for example use Ivory black that used bones from dead animal, before in old times, ivory real ones.

there is a glue from dead rabbits

we eat lots of read meat etc. We dont care how cattle, chicken are fed up like in bad environment, they get lots of anabolic steroids, eat genetically modified wheat etc.

however I dont feel bad conscience when I buy mongoose brushes. at the same time Im annoyed that in Sweden people hunt down wolves.

I hope it is somewhat "environment" friendly since mongoose dont wear out fast, they are very durable then I dont have buy again so long Im taking
proper care of washing.

pigs arent killed for hog bristle brushes, but for meat, mongoose arent killed for brushes but for pelt. Im against for killing and I rather see them living as pets. But you know how it is here in the world.

Last edited by tomasis : 06-21-2011 at 08:58 AM.