WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: what is your favourite software for digital art?
Photoshop 513 44.96%
Paint Shop Pro 126 11.04%
Painter 349 30.59%
ZBrush 21 1.84%
3dStudio Max 30 2.63%
Maya 19 1.67%
Lightwave 12 1.05%
Some other that you havent written in here 284 24.89%
I like all of them and I want more 25 2.19%
I dont know, I have no preference 15 1.31%
the one I really would like doesnt exist yet 15 1.31%
depends on the project Im doing 73 6.40%
not sure, sorry Im in a rush, see u later 2 0.18%
just came to look at the results 50 4.38%
ok ok if u insist I will vote, mmm let me think 10 0.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2004, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Sweden
Re: favourite software for digital art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rucker
Photoshop x 14

Congratulations, you bumped a nearly year old topic with a one liner, way to go champ - you are my hero.

and to stay on topic now that we're here again - I would like to change my vote from "my ideal software hasn't been invented yet" to "Photoshop".
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2004, 08:15 PM

Hails from United States

Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned yet, especially one that people who like Painter will enjoy, is ArtRage. It's still pretty new, and doesn't have some of the nice features like Painter (alt-click, etc.), but hands down in terms of being a program that mimics real media, it blows Painter away, especially for digital 'oil' paintings.

Oh, and I almost forgot the best part.... IT'S FREE. So, I guess there's no reason not to at least try it.

A very good many awesome digital artists in this forum use it: Sijun Digital Art Forum.

Worth giving a shot... definitely my vote for favorite.

-Rob
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast
Wendover, Buckinghamshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Painter Classic/Photoshop 5.5/Paintshop Pro 5 - Painter for 'painting' with a graphics tablet, Photoshop for its effects, layers, titling and using plug-ins, Paintshop Pro for browsing my picture galleries and simple stuff like resizing and playing around with contrast, colour balance etc. I daresay at least one of these programmes could do all of these functions, but I guess its what I am used to.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2004, 08:54 PM

I voted for Photoshop. It is the most versatile tool I own. However, I have other favs: Painter 8, Adobe Imageready (free with photoshop), Bryce, Apophysis is pretty cool for fractals, and am just learning Carrara... but will probably be my tool of choice for 3D.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2004, 10:03 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I guess this wasn't a bad idea after all...

Thanks Sam...
it was me who digged it up from the dark WC archives,looking for some historic facts, and brought it alive just by voting, didn't want to place a reply, but thanks to Joe Rucker for placing the first reply after so long !!

Regards

ps- i guess i don't get a hero treatment, anyhow...

Last edited by Jet Liera : 06-15-2004 at 10:06 PM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2004, 10:17 PM

Awww... poor Jet. **hands him a superhero cape**
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Stanwood Wa.

Hails from United States

I voted for Paint Shop Pro (v7)because that is the only program I have. It's not a big hardship having just the one tool cause right now anyway, I mostly do hand painting with it. 'Course I wouldn't throw Photo shop or Painter or any other tools away if I had them.

A fun thing about hand painting with your image software is you can enlarge your image by resizing.( If that image is lineart, that is. After resizing it bigger, you get additonal painting practice because you will need to paint the resized lineart image. :~

Interesting reading about the diffierent software the group uses.

Janet B.

"What--more sunflowers, Vinny?"
-Mom Van Gogh

http://www.artbeacon.com/jansimages
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2004, 02:55 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

It's Painter for me. I've been using it since Painter 4.0 and still love it.

Installed on my newer computer are Metacreations Painter Classic 1, procreate Painter Classic 2, Fractal Design Painter 5.0.3, Corel Painter 6.1, Corel Painter 7.1.357, and Corel Painter 8.1.

Also installed on that computer are Illustrator 9.0, Photoshop 7.0.1, ArtRage (I read somewhere today that a new version of ArtRage will be released in a couple of weeks), and Expression 3.0.

On my older computer are Fireworks, Bryce 4, and some other programs I can't recall now and it's not hooked up to my monitor and tablet to make it easier to look... sorry.

On an even older computer is Poser 2 (I think that's the version number) which I used to play with a bit but never got really interested so it stays where it is.

Since a lot of Painter users also use Photoshop for color tweaking before printing (and for some other odds and ends it does better than Painter), that's the other program I open up most often to check things when answering questions. I seldom actually use it but have a reasonable understanding of how it works having taken a couple of classes a few years ago and having used it for a few months at work before I retired.

I love Painter because, though it is complex and can take years to learn well, for me it's very intuitive, exciting, and full of great surprises (no, not always bad ones). It's versatile enough that I can do almost anything I want to do with it. Though I've been using it every day for years, there's always something more to be discovered and I like the fact that it never bores me.

Beta testing Painter 9 now and that should be released sometime before the end of this year.

I've used all of these programs at one time or another, some more than others and Illustrator would be another favorite for enjoyment while Photoshop, to me, is drudgery. However, I have great respect for Photoshop's capabilities and am very glad to own it (to keep the Photoshop fans off my case).

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Enthusiast
CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODROB
Here's one that I don't think has been mentioned yet, especially one that people who like Painter will enjoy, is ArtRage. It's still pretty new, and doesn't have some of the nice features like Painter (alt-click, etc.), but hands down in terms of being a program that mimics real media, it blows Painter away, especially for digital 'oil' paintings.

Oh, and I almost forgot the best part.... IT'S FREE. So, I guess there's no reason not to at least try it.

A very good many awesome digital artists in this forum use it: Sijun Digital Art Forum.

Worth giving a shot... definitely my vote for favorite.

-Rob
I tried Artrage and I have to say that it is pretty cool. I think that it is a good device for doing some quick sketches. It's free too. My only complaint is that it is too simple. People should at least try this program.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2004, 07:14 AM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States

I love painter, I got painter 5 off ebay real cheap(under 10 bucks) it came in a paint can and would you believe a user license for 5 computers. I then picked up painter 6 also on ebay also real cheap a little while later(also in the paint can). I am a photoshop diehard but I find painter just amazing. I still use photoshop to make images when I need to make them fast(cause I know the program's tools so well) but if I don't have anything specific in mind and want to spend a bunch of time experimenting I use painter. I also use illustrator. I have bryce 4(great for making textures to apply to photoshop stuff), poser 3, raydreams, and expression 1.0 and some other older graphic programs that I also got off ebay.

I saw the link to expression 3.0 and downloaded the 3+ hour download, I haven't installed it yet.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast
Knoxville,Iowa. us

Hails from United States

i chose something other.. which would be dogwaffle.. but i also use paint shop pro.. since i use dog more than anything else.. that was my choice...
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2004, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulfreak
it came in a paint can and would you believe a user license for 5 computers.

Wasn't the paint can cute? I got two different versions and they both came in a paint can. Thought that was pretty cool. Now it comes in a box. *sigh*
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast
CA

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: favourite software for digital art

I tried out Artrage for a couple of short sketches. They are pretty bad, lol, but here they are. The first one is just a bunch of strokes and the second is a portrait from memory of a model I drew once. The last is a detail of the portrait. Enjoy.
P.S. I still prefer Photoshop.
Attached Images

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2004, 01:55 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Joe
these are pretty nice, but i guess one misses the control one has in PhotoShop, which some of these little programs are lacking .

if you have works done in photoshop, feel free to post away,
we'd like to see them very much

Regards
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Immortalized
Lexington, South Carolina

Joe, A bit more contrasting color and I think you might like it for these type of works.
It's two a.m...........