WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
A Local Legend
MidWest

Hails from United States
clayboard?

does anyone have any advice on using clayboards. i painted couple of small pieces on a clayboard and liked it. I sprayed it with varnish and it looks kind of nice. i wonder if anyone works on larger boards and how do you like it? It seems to dry much faster than paper so i wonder if it is possible to paint anything decent on a large board? thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States
Re: clayboard?

how funny- I was just going to post about this because I picked up a piece of the rough textured clayboard- the sort made for watercolors at a close-out recently and LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT....

you can draw straight on it, and it erases like a DREAM..... my art is more 'graphic' style... I have not tried to do a lot of lifting, but to me painting on this surface is simply INCREDIBLE.... I am in LOVE with this stuff.... in fact I zoomed back to the store today that was closing out their art supplies and it was almost all GONE... I could have cried....

this is the sort I tried- not the smooth.. another GREAT thing is you don't have to mount it with GLASS... varnish it and mount it like an oil painting... cool cool cool

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-su...es/online/5596
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Wish I could give you a more definitive answer, but just doing a search on Clayboard didn't come up with a lot!!! And I know little has really been written up in terms of the Handbook.

Uh oh need other member exerience here! I've only used it a bit with watercolor crayons, but like you only in a small size. Here is one link to something recently posted here in the watercolor forum

on clayboard

good luck!

Jen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2008, 07:33 PM
A Local Legend
Near Amarillo, Texas

Hails from United States

I absolutely love Clayboard Textured for watercolors. They are now calling it 'Aquaboard' I believe. It's the best thing I've used but I love the way that the paint goes on and stays on and also lifts the best. Just drown it with paint and then have fun.

It can also take a more traditional light glazing type of painting also. It does dry a lot faster at first. Once it gets wet then it will tend to stay wet. Keep an atomizer handy.

I think that the colors on it are prettier and brighter looking...especially when sprayed. There are many artists who are in love with this support and I am one of them.

Good luck with it.