WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States
Plein Air Palette - Finally

Hi all,

I have be struggling to create/find a palette to take on the road with me for sketches and small w/c's. The DS palette with full pans solved the problem of having enough room to use a 1" brush. Since the pans are replaceable, I can swap out as my needs/learning transpires.

I wanted the following in colors:
Split primary
Mostly transparent
No cadmium

I am happy with my choices. The one I was struggling with was a replacement for the darker Cad. Yellow Deep. Found Maimeri Perm. Yellow Deep as almost a perfect replacement in value and hue. Handprint says they are the only one producing PY139. Not sure why, but definitely a very useful yellow for nice oranges or toned down greens.

The only reason for the perylene red is to use with Phthalo green for great blacks/grays.

I think I am going to be very happy with the palette and the 12 colors.

Steve - Toledo
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Plein Air Palette - Finally

Looks good Steve, nothing like setting out a new palette.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2008, 02:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Prescott, AZ

Hails from United States

Wow, look like fun! I have question, Steve... Did yo say you bought the palette from Daniel Smith? If so where did yo get the empty pans from? Or did the palette come with empty pans for you to sqeexe your tubes in?
Thanks
Srishti
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Srishti
The palette can be found at:

http://www.danielsmith.com/products~sku~285+240+001.asp

Empty full pans are available for $4 for a set of 10. The palette is well built and comes with 12 empties.

Steve
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Steve,
You are very brave to have four reds in a pleine aire palette!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Neeman,

I feel as I only have two reds that I use as red. Quin. Rose as a violet red and Quin Scarlet as an orange red. I can mix all the bright/dull oranges and violets I need. The Burnt Scarlet is very near Burnt Sienna, but a little on the bright side. If I add a touch of Burnt Umber to it, it is a perfect Burnt Sienna.
As mentioned above, the only reason for the Pery. Red is to create great darks, either green, red or neutral biased.

I am totally pleased as I can make virtually any color I might need in an outdoor subject.

Steve-Toledo
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Enthusiast
Washintgon (the state)

Hails from United States

Great palette. I have most of those DS colors. The Quin Burnt Scarlet makes great neutrals with DS Pthalo Blue, although I use RS for that rather than GS. Happy painting!

Enjoy my contributions to RIL here http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...0&ppuser=61016
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstalker
Neeman,

I feel as I only have two reds that I use as red. Quin. Rose as a violet red and Quin Scarlet as an orange red. I can mix all the bright/dull oranges and violets I need. The Burnt Scarlet is very near Burnt Sienna, but a little on the bright side. If I add a touch of Burnt Umber to it, it is a perfect Burnt Sienna.
As mentioned above, the only reason for the Pery. Red is to create great darks, either green, red or neutral biased.

I am totally pleased as I can make virtually any color I might need in an outdoor subject.

Steve-Toledo

Steve,

I have Aliz Crimson, and Indian Red in a 12 pigment palette.
Both will knock down any color!
And make strong purples!

I am trying to use Scarlet red, but I just don't know what to do with this red!

What do you use the Quin red for?

Neeman
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Neeman,

The Quin. Rose (at least the one I have) is a little toward the violet compared to the Quin. Red. If I want brilliant violets, I use the Rose. If I want a subdued violet, I use the Quin. Scarlet since it leans toward the orange. The Quin. Rose also makes a beautiful .....rose.

Steve - Toledo
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
North Western, OH

Hails from United States

Hey sstalker! Its nice to see someone from my neck of the woods ( I live out in Delta).

I have the same metal palette box (I love mine!!) except it has a W&N logo on it, I ordered an empty one a couple of years ago from Ken Bromleys with some empty whole pans. One thing you could try, if ever wanted to expand or add a temporary color, is to add pans down the center row using a small ball of sticky tack on the bottom of a pan. It works great, it doesn't come loose and it holds on even with lots of water splashed around your palette. Plus its easy to rearrange your colors on your palette.

Three new colors I tend to experiment with allot are Perylene Maroon, Pink Color, and Cobalt Turquoise. Having to extra row of colors in the center allows me to try new colors without changing out the main colors in my box.

Please post some sketches/paintings using your palette.

-Jeff H.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Toledo, Ohio

Hails from United States

Jeff,

Just went through Delta a couple of weeks ago. I have a good friend in Swanton that also does watercolor. Maybe we can get together at a metropark for a little plein air when the weather turns.

I have cobalt turquoise in my primary palette, but am trying to force myself to use 12 when I know I really don't need more than that.

Steve - Toledo