WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 AM
NYC

Hails from United States
https://artfixed.com/digital-artists-2017/

Digital art can be really hyper-realistic but also really traditional looking so I was wondering if some more experienced artists had any tips or tricks on how to spot what's digital and what's not without checking in with the artist? Like what if you can't find the source for a beautiful picture online?

Some of the art in the link above at times seems very much like traditional art.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2017, 01:44 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Does anyone know how to distinguish digital from traditional?

It's impossible in some cases to tell if it was created digitally or created with "natural material" and then photographed, scanned or otherwise digitized.

If you take a look at my website, I have watercolors mixed in with digital paintings, purposely to make the point, that it doesn't matter how it was produced, it's art and it is hand rendered regardless of whether it's oil, watercolor or pixels that create the colors and forms. It's also difficult to tell sometimes if something is just super realistically rendered, of if it was a manipulated photo or painted over a photo.

I've mixed things up by touching up digitally painting printed on canvas and recently, I had a friend ask me to touch up a photo she had printed on a canvas. She was disappointed by the quality of the printing, she felt the colors just weren't "right". we went in with a few highlights with some acrylic paint, and she loves it now.
If you are entering a show, it makes a difference, as many shows categorize work by the media, and many do not accept photography and mistakenly group digital work in with photography.

So I guess the bottom line is, yes, you really need to check with the artist to be sure how something was created. Much of the digital software will very closely emulate natural artists materials.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2017, 04:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
NYC

Hails from United States

Interesting question. My first response is what is the reason behind the question? Is it that you want to acquire a refined sensibility that allows you to see some subtle differences between various mediums or is it that you think that oil paintings are real Art and that digital Art is somehow fake and that you don't want to be fooled. Any Art that you see on line is digital even if it a photo of a painting on canvas because anything that we see on our computer screens has to be digitised in order to get there. So I would say that there is no difference. Oh and by the way I don't see anything that is even remotely traditional in any of the 3rd rate illustrations in the link that you posted.

Graven Images Kayak Pictures
Spitzonian Musings

Last edited by Harry Spitz : 07-11-2017 at 04:21 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2017, 10:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Well, I think there are some wonderful paintings on that page and some are not obviously digital. It can be hard to tell sometimes.

As an artist, I'm always curious about how a painting was done. When I would read children's books to my son I would always go back and look at the illustrations and try to figure out what it was done with. lol

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Hails from United States

Obviously, we have different opinions on the quality of the work in the link, and that is ok, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.....
But looking at the link the second time, these are categorized as digital. But the question How can you tell when you are looking at a photo online? the answer is, IMHO, you can't.... and it doesn't really matter -again IMHO. (in my humble opinion)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
NYC

Hails from United States

Aside from my opinion about the linked Art. I am stumped by your use of the term traditional. By traditional do you mean Artists who come out of the cultural history of Art or do you mean art that uses age old materials. If we mean cultural history than Artists who are aware of Rembrandt and Frans Halls, Kandinsky and Pollock are the traditionalists.
The Artists in the link seem to be blissfully unaware of the anything to do with the lessons of the past. The great Chuck Berry said "Roll over Beethoven" but at least he knew that there once was a Beethoven. If your an Artist and you don't know who Oskar Schlemmer was than you are not a traditionalist.
So what I'm saying is that it does't matter what materials an Artist uses. A traditional Artist is an Artist that is aware of Art History and follows or rebels against that history.

Spitzonian Musings

Last edited by Harry Spitz : 07-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Traditional is the word many have come to use to describe anything that isn't digital. Perhaps natural would be the better term.

mkmcreations.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
NYC

Hails from United States

So Earth Artists like Robert Smithson or performance Artists like Vito Acconci would be traditionalists.

Spitzonian Musings

Last edited by Harry Spitz : 07-13-2017 at 04:31 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2017, 10:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Oh Harry. I'm not going to continue this because words and I barely get along.

mkmcreations.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
NYC

Hails from United States

I guess I'm just difficult. I once asked Vito Acconci if Ballet was performance Art.
I don't think he liked my question. I did not get a coherent answer.

I'm really not trying to be difficult I think that this is a very basic and important subject. What do we mean by traditional? We have the example of Duchamp who recognised sculptural beauty in a urinal so he turned it upside down to separate it from it's utilitarian side so that it could be seen aesthetically. I would say that Duchamp was a traditional Artist in that he was an accomplished painter (Nude Descending the Staircase) and he brought his refined sensibility into everything he did. On the other hand there is the example of Thomas Kinkade. He used traditional art materials to create trashy crap without any sense of Art history or any sense of aesthetic awareness. I would say that he was neither a traditionalist nor a non traditionalist he was just a businessman who made and sold pretty baubles.

What I'm trying to say is that it might be OK to speak of traditional Art materials but that art made with traditional material is not necessarily traditional art while Art made out of non traditional materials or no material at all can be traditional Art.

Spitzonian Musings

Last edited by Harry Spitz : 07-16-2017 at 03:01 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Australia

I just took the original poster's question to be, how to tell the difference between digital art and art using traditional materials, oil, acrylics, watercolour, etc. In some cases, it would be obvious but in others quite difficult to tell the difference.

http://poy.time.com/2013/12/11/behin...-jason-seiler/
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 PM

Hails from United States

Jason Seiler's work is a great example. It is very "traditional" looking, he uses traditional techniques, but no paint- it's digital.
So he is an example of -you can't tell!
I guess I prefer the term "natural materials, when we are talking about paint, pastel etc, as opposed to digital. Then what happens when someone combines? There are those who scan paintings or drawings and then add digital elements?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Denver, CO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
Traditional is the word many have come to use to describe anything that isn't digital. Perhaps natural would be the better term.

In today's climate, when discussing mediums, the correct term to use is "Analog" which is the antonym of "Digital".

www.vincentcreative.net
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

mkmcreations.com