WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2017, 09:58 PM

Best current Tablet Computer for art? (Jan 2017)

I'm having a really hard time finding what is the best tablet computer for art right now. There's so many seemingly discontinued Samsung models cluttering up the space on Amazon and it's hard to even find what the newest ones are and whether you can draw on them. I want one that's great for both drawing/painting and general use, such as watching youtube videos.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Best current Tablet Computer for art? (Jan 2017)

MAC has always been the best computer and almost always gets the best art and graphic software long before my Windows PC does. However, I know nothing about MAC.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 09:58 PM

Well I found it seems the ipad pro is the best one right now and the 12.9" is the biggest one. It has tons of power, more than some laptops. They say it's really great for art. People rave about the ipad pencil too. I think I will buy the 12.9" with 256gb and wifi. Procreate is popular on it and 1 or 2 other painting software are popular. Anyone know if you can run Blender on it?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

Blender which I have was built for Intel based computers. That means that some of the key pad commands for Apple and Mac are not in Blender. I understand that there is a different keypad that some use to install Blender on the iPad, but most say stay away and use Blender on Windows for now.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenart
Blender which I have was built for Intel based computers. That means that some of the key pad commands for Apple and Mac are not in Blender. I understand that there is a different keypad that some use to install Blender on the iPad, but most say stay away and use Blender on Windows for now.

OH so if I wanted to use Blender on a tablet it'd be on MS Surface?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

As stated before not the MAC guy and it seems there are different opinions given to me, so, I went to blender and you should study the versions for what machines that are available before you make your decision.

https://www.blender.org/download/

I have a lot of trouble with freeware on my PC and recently found that my AMD does not support some of the instruction sets that are required to run Blender, Inkscape, and so on. So stay with either an Intel or MAC.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2017, 07:46 PM

The Surface Book looks good.
I'm liking the $2600 version with i7 cpu and 1tb hd.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

Excellent! I am still working on my four year old AMD wish I had an i5. My next will certainly be an i7.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 06:05 AM
Canberra

Hails from Australia

You won't be able to run software like Blender or Photoshop on an iPad Pro (I say typing on one!). If you do go that route, I'd recommend Procreate for digital painting. I don't know anything about 3D so I can't recommend a Blender alternative.

If you like macs, then a Cintiq + a MacBook is as portable as it gets... and the cintiq will still tie you to a power point.

If you like or are willing to explore Windows then I would recommend the Surface Pro 4, it's over a year old at this point, but it's still the best Windows tablet with a pen input. The other main contender is the Wacom tablet PC line, but be ready to pay twice as much! I liked Manga Studio when I had a Windows tablet.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupiter
If you like macs, then a Cintiq + a MacBook is as portable as it gets... and the cintiq will still tie you to a power point.

Why are you combining a cintiq with a macbook? How are they going to work together? What relationship do they have with each other?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Canberra

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaScapePtr
Why are you combining a cintiq with a macbook? How are they going to work together? What relationship do they have with each other?

I'm not saying it's really a tablet! It's just as close as you can get to a tablet that's a Mac, i.e. not very close at all. (I guess excluding the ModBook, if they're still making those.)

A cintiq is a pen-enabled external display, it could be used with a Windows computer or a Mac, but of course there are real Windows tablets that fit the request much better.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

I have a USB powered Wacom for my PC and it also supports MAC. The Cintiqu are now older pen tablets. Wacom is pushing the Intuos Pro, I do not know anything about this pen tablet but it does support the following OS;
MacOSX - Driver 6.3.20-4 (Mac OS X 10.10, 10.11, & 10.12)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 PM
Canberra

Hails from Australia

Quote:
I have a USB powered Wacom for my PC and it also supports MAC. The Cintiqu are now older pen tablets. Wacom is pushing the Intuos Pro, I do not know anything about this pen tablet but it does support the following OS;
MacOSX - Driver 6.3.20-4 (Mac OS X 10.10, 10.11, & 10.12)

Wacom has 4 main lines, but depending on where you live this can change! I have a "One By Wacom" that I believe is mainly sold in India, and sometimes by Aldi in Australia.

Intuos: Consumer line of USB pen tablets (with no screen), all work with Mac and PC. (previously known as Bamboo)
Intuos Pro: Pro line of USB pen tablets (with no screen), all work with mac and PC. (previously known as just Intuos)
Cintiq: Pro line of external monitors for Mac and PC, with pen input. To be used in a drafting-table like setup.
MobileStudio: Pro line of Windows-based pen-enabled tablets. In Australia, these start at $2,500, so not cheap.

If you're used to "tablets" meaning "things like iPads", it's weird to see Wacom calling the Intous products "tablets" when they don't have a screen.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

My error, My Bamboo does not have a screen, just a nice shinny silver surface. I do have several touch screen tablets and a Lenovo touch screen PC. I use the larger Lenovo AMD Desktop for all of my work so I am not mobile by any means.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
MAC has always been the best computer and almost always gets the best art and graphic software long before my Windows PC does. However, I know nothing about MAC.

Considering that hardware wise current macs are just MID END PCs, that is not true anymore. You can buy a PC 2 times more powerful for half the price.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"