WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2017, 11:21 PM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: Photoshop tips for "oil" painting?

Other software programs you might consider are;
SketchBook Pro, a great sketching program
Krita, art and design
Affinity by Serif, art and design
Escape Motions Rebelle, new concept art
Painter Essentials 5
are just a few that have a Trial version.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2017, 12:12 PM

This was done in Corel Painter, for my money the best of the natural media emulator programs.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Enthusiast
Ohio

Hails from United States

ArtRage 5 has just been released and with new features, a customizable UI, and in particular the brush designer, this version is a real winner.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2017, 04:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I just can recommend what I know based on my own experience. I have a traditional background and have been painting with oil on canvas and traditional drawing for around 15 years.

Recently due to my trips and difficulties to have a "stable" studio I have switched to digital. Brief, I am still in the learning phase, trying to adapt my traditional skills into the digital media.
I like this question because for some time I was lost trying too many things and wasting a lot of time. I hope I can help.

I have been struggling long time for a simple reason: the moment I stopped copying other's brushes and techniques was the moment when I really improved. Now I am approaching to my own language, same as I did with traditional media. It takes long time to get used to a software and really know it to your advantage. For this reason, try to avoid learning different software, stick with one or two options maximum.

With Photoshop it is possible to emulate real media, so much that it is impossible to notice the difference (if this is what you want). You do not need the "special fx" by Corel painter, you can develop your own brushes and techniques as much as you want, beyond any tutorial and technique that can be found in the web. Again, this takes time and effort. It took me more than one year to develop my brushes (for brush tool, eraser, smudge, and brush mixer), I could not find tutorials that fit what I was looking for.

Here I put some examples, for all of them I used Photoshop and a Wacom Intuos Pro:

this painting emulate oil, impasto and several techniques that I've used with oils.

Here I used a technique to work on the edges and create a natural feel. The control of edges is the #1 tool to avoid a "digital look".

Same goes for drawing, for example graphite sketches:

Charcoal:

hope this helps
Pedro
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2017, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from South Africa

Interesting! Thanks Pedro.

regards - Peter
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Northern Virginia

Hails from United States

I have been teaching myself digital drawing and painting (in Photoshop) over the last couple months, using YouTube videos. I invested in a megapack of digital brushes by Kyle Webster ($15) - before that I couldn't figure out how to paint anything. I'm still learning, but I enjoy it because I have so much more control than I do in traditional wet media (with which I have a love/hate relationship).

Anyway, my advice is to buy (or make) artist brushes for your software. That made a huge difference to my experience.

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." -- Pablo Picasso
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Northern Virginia

Hails from United States

Oh - and Pedro - those paintings are gorgeous!

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." -- Pablo Picasso
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 PM
Mayville, Michigan

Hails from United States

A great resource for digital brushes- probably more PS than ArtRage I have seen, is www.deviantart.com. Many of them cost nothing, or donate, and you can easily download them. I love both PS and ArtRage, and use whichever one is going to achieve what I am looking for in the least amount of work, layers, and steps.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:54 AM

Hi! Newbie here.
So, you've been using Photoshop no?

I have little experience with Painting Software, or at least, Software aimed to create digital pictures, because, if you think well about it, Photoshop was meant to edit pictures, and not to create them as if you were using a canvas and paints.

In my experience, I've been trying to reproduce "Real Brushstrokes" troo with a software called GIMP. I'm pretty sure you've heard about it.

What I've found with that software is that, no matter how hard I tried to reproduce the real feeling of paint, I couldn't until I found that I could create my own custom brushes.
I tried everything: Like, downloading a picture of an Oil painting with textures (a picture with enough resolution so you'd be able to see the texture that a brush leaves behind when painting) and I choosed a part of that texture, converted it into a brush... and it didn't worked.

Then I began to use my imagination, and to actually try to understan why a real brush leaves those amazing marks when painting... and then I was able to create a custom brush that could make those marks.

After that, I found that I could create textures in my pictures (still talking about GIMP) and I began to experiment with textures in white pictures, and other colors too, like gray pictures, brown ones, blue ones, and so on and so forth. But something was missing and I couldn't find what was that. That until a week ago or so.
What I was missing was the lighting, you know, the enviroment lighting.
Imagine that you have this white colored canvas right before your window, then you'll notice how the parts of the canvas near the window are brighter than those away from it. Then I created a gradient with white and gray to reproduce "lighting" in my pictures and that was it.

It may sound confusing, but long story short:

1.- Create a custom brush that resembles a real brush.
2.- Use textures on your canvas-es, so you can "reproduce" all types of materials. Like a smooth surface, or a rough one, perhaps a Canvas like texture or perhaps a texture that looks like Fabric.
3.- Try to reproduce real life environments with your presets.

I'll be glad to show you with pictures what I mean, but, I think I can't post pictures until my third post or something like that.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2017, 09:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I am trying to emulate real media with digital software, this is probably what I like since I learned to draw and paint with charcoal and oil.

It's been a while since I have been developing my own tools and ways to have a "real" painting feeling.

these are my last two drawings with a Wacom Intuos pro and Photoshop.

and this one below is charcoal (digital)

there is a lot of work and experimentation behind, it took me years to do this with digital media. In any case, the key for EVERY painting or drawing is to learn to do with real charcoal or oil.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 10:40 PM

When I feel like I want to do extra miles on making my digital painting to look traditional, I use PS for making the sketch, then color it with artrage, and then refine details/crop/cleanup in PS.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2017, 03:47 AM

Hi,
I am using rebelle (from escapemotion) and Topaz impression. Rebelle is a stand-alone program, however Topaz impression is a Photoshop plug-in. There are lots of ready use presets. You can use oil painting presets, or if you want there are sketching, watercolor or some famous painter's styles presets.
If you want to use Rebelle, you can import any image to program and play with it. Actually, it is the best software for me, which can be very useful, if you want to get very close results to reality. Strongly suggested.

For canvas stretching machine we manufacture, you can visit www.canvasstretchingmachines.com

Last edited by davincitablo : 07-22-2017 at 03:52 AM.