WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM

Hails from United States
To critique or not to critique?

When posting a new thread, please let us know if you would welcome a critique by specifying in your title CRITIQUE PLEASE. Sometimes we post our work here hoping for constructive criticism but some may feel shy posting their work, and not be comfortable with being critiqued.

When you are responding to a thread, I always encourage you to offer positive comments, but hold your criticisms and suggestions for improvement unless you see the words CRITIQUE PLEASE in the title.

When critiquing, I suggest that you state a positive aspect before pointing out a weakness of the piece, and when possible suggest something that be done for improvement or should be improved with a suggestion.
For example: I like the use of color, but the shadows seem a little weak. I'd suggest darkening the shadows.

Let's strive to make this forum a place were we can all learn and grow together.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
My Home

Hails from Pakistan
Re: To critique or not to critique?

Affirmative
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2012, 11:14 AM
A WC! Legend
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Is it necessary to put it in the title? I always have it in my signature.

Personally, I think once you put your work out there for people to see you have to expect some criticism.

mkmcreations.com
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Hails from United States

LavenderFrost,
I agree with what you are saying. But my personal experience has been that I have posted C&Cs welcome in the body of my post, and still don't get much response besides, Nice one.... etc,etc. nothing really constructive.

I tried putting PLEASE CRITIQUE in a title recently, and found that I got more specific feedback that way.
I'm also aware, that the Critique forum does not accept posting on digital art or photography, so I felt it important that our posters know how to ask specifically for a critique here in the digital forum.

After following a great deal of discussion on this subject in another website's discussion forum. I found that opinions ranged all over the place. I hesitate to say that if you post your work you must be open to criticism, because the reality is in any group that there are those who hesitate to show and do not have the self confidence to face criticism at this time.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast

This seems like a great plan to me! I think it's important for people to control the level of criticism that they want. I'm new to this forum, but, in my art classes, you can always tell who wants what level of criticism according to body language and facial expressions. Here, we don't have that luxury. -Terri
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Salisbury, Maryland

Hails from United States

Unwanted criticism has been the leading cause of my leaving other art communities in the past. Unless requested I have little to no use for critique, and I have a reason for this, most the time I am well aware of the issues. Being extremely aware of the failings in my own work I often know that fixing the issues might require more work than just doing a new painting. For that reason I tend to accept flaws and move on, the simple mistakes I tend to pick up on and fix myself. This is why it is better not to critique unless asked for, what we often may see as a flaw might actually be a feature of the piece. I do some tangents in my work intentionally to send the eye toward something that might normally not even be noticed (especially in shadowy areas).

It is an extremely rare piece that I ask for critique on, and when I do it is for very specific things. I think the implementation of this rule of asking specifically for a critique is a good idea, keeps people civil and calm and no one's feelings get hurt. Thank you for having this rule.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2015, 02:56 PM

Hails from United States

Thanks, It's nice to hear when people agree.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2015, 04:02 AM

I agree!