Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Hi! I’m new to WetCanvas, but I was a member about seven years ago. I’ve decided to try Nori Paste for mixed media collage because my husband complains about the fumes with gels or decoupage adhesives. The problem is I can’t figure out if you can paint over Nori Paste with acrylic paints. I tried it tonight, but the paste hadn’t dried fully so the collage paper ripped a little. Has anyone else tried this, or is there another collage adhesive that works well for mixed media that doesn’t have strong fumes?

Cyndi L

He finds the fumes from acrylic mediums to be a problem? I guess I never even noticed any odor from them. I don’t mean acrylic varnishes, but just plain polymer medium…? As for Nori paste, I’m sorry, but I’ve got no experience with it. Can anyone else help Kathryn?

Welcome back, by the way!

CarlyHardy

I’ve used acrylic paints as a medium for collage many times with no problems. Not familiar with the paste you mention. Have also used the glue sticks with good results. I always do a final varnish over collage work which seals everything.

My only question would be…do you have adequate ventilation for your workspace?

Thanks for responding! I don’t have adequate ventilation, most of my windows don’t open. I’ve been bringing my work out onto the porch to dry. :) I wrote Dick Blick and they recommended a gel so I’m going to try it out. I have had a little luck with the Nori Paste so far, it’s a rice paste though so it isn’t waterproof. Thank you so much for the ideas!

Dcam

I have been dealing with acrylic mediums of all kinds for many years.
                A smell or fumes? I’ve never detected anything and I have a good nose.

Yeah, the scent of paints and mediums doesn’t bother me at all, my husband is just super sensitive to perfumes and strong scents of any kind. I guess his olfactory is more easily provoked than mine…hehe! I tend to use craft paints a lot because they are inexpensive and for some reason have had lots of bad luck with all kinds of mediums-complaints from my husband and outright fury!

Cyndi L

Yikes! I don’t know what to tell you. I guess the only thing I can really think of is isolation from the rest of the house, or maybe get a big hood-style ventilation system.

Thanks for the ideas! I’ve discovered the Nori Paste is working out rather well, although I still need to seal my works in the future. On to the art making…nothing can stop me now!

CarlyHardy

If the Nori paste is water soluble, be sure that no moisture can get to your artwork. Rice paste is also susceptible to insects.

Discuss your problem with your husband and see if he can help with a solution or at least a compromise. (Forgive me for getting personal) I know how much it can mean to an artist to be able to create.

Ok, I’m back to add to this post…I’ve done a handful of works with the Nori Paste and have run into an issue. I did some collage and then painted over it with craft acrylics, now the dried paint has begun chipping off! Does anyone know how to seal it…would acrylic medium be suitable? I ordered some Utrecht Matte Gel from Dick Blick because it was recommended to be less stinky, however that was a lie because it is super fumey. I also have some Collage Pauge that says it is a glue and sealant…just not sure which to use. I don’t want to lose the painting. Ahh the struggles to create some art…

I wanted to share one of the works I’ve created since starting this post. Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice! It has been years since I worked in mixed media, and is great to be doing it again after so long. Thanks again! :)

CarlyHardy

Cool painting! Nice to see you creating again.

Two thoughts…if you use too much water with craft paints, they might not bond properly with the surface. and two, if the nori paste gets wet, it may be dissolving and causing the cracking or non adherence. I’ve never had this issue so I can’t be a lot of help. Maybe others will have more knowledge.

Instead of craft paints, I get samples of house paint at a local paint store. I dont’ dilute it…just straight from the jar.

OOH that is a fascinating idea, to use house paint! Alissa Burke mentions that in some of her classes, that she uses white house paint instead of gesso. Sorry it took me so long to respond, I have a love hate relationship with the internet. Sometimes I take long breaks! I’ve officially gone back to watercolor since this post. My husband and I both started having lung pain and he was wheezing so I’ve given up on using materials with fumes for now. Watercolor is what I go to over and over again, it just seems to suit my lifestyle the best. I would love to see some of your work if you are up for sharing. Cheers!

Oh my gosh! I went to your website, your paintings are GORGEOUS!! Really love your work!

CarlyHardy

Thanks Kathryn, glad to know that watercolors don’t have an adverse effect. You know that you can dilute acrylics also…but when dry they don’t reactivate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.