Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Happy New Year! So what are your 2019 painting goals and plans?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    AnnieA

Happy 2019,

Dear Oil Painting Forum Folks!!!

It doesn’t need to be a resolution, as after all, they’re made to be broken. But what are your artistic hopes and plans for the new year?

I’ll go first: I’m planning to paint much more often this year. And, to do that, I need to somehow find more space for painting. I don’t know quite how I’ll accomplish that yet, but it’s on my mind today as I think of the year to come.

So what about you?

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
        [FONT=Palatino]
        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

“Paint some pictures” is always part of my new years’ intentions…. and I always do manage to paint some pictures! :lol:

Last year I really widened my plein air comfort zone, kind of unintentionally but it happened. So I guess more of the same. And finish some things that need finishing.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

AnnieA

”Paint some pictures” is always part of my new years’ intentions…. and I always do manage to paint some pictures! :lol:

Last year I really widened my plein air comfort zone, kind of unintentionally but it happened. So I guess more of the same. And finish some things that need finishing.

Heh, Jess, I think “paint more” is going to be just about everyone’s wish for 2019! Good for you for stepping up your plein air game last year and best wishes for continued success on that in 2019!

I’ve got (too many!) things that need finishing too – I should have added that to mine.

[FONT=Palatino]
            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

bhindi

Nice post. I often wonder if other artists work towards a goal. I’d always do a landscape here, a portrait there and such. Last year, I decided I would focus on finishing a collection of paintings with the same theme – a “body of work” I think they call it. Still working towards that and hope to have something to show this year.

Grotius

Annie, Happy New Year to you, and thank you for such a lovely thread!

Last year I had two resolutions: paint at least 50 paintings, and survive my exhibition. I succeeded in both!

This year I’m also resolving to paint 50 paintings, but I’m also resolving to concentrate more on each one. Often I have to paint quickly, as I paint plein air or portraits from life, but even so I should apply each brushstroke more slowly, more thoughtfully. I guess that means make quick decisions, but execute them more carefully? Does that make sense?

- Geoff.
                    My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

billmahler

I’m with Grotius.
                        Paint more thoughtfully.
                        Happy New Year to all.

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
                        Winston Churchill.
                        http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

!becca

“After all, the goal is not making art…it is living life.
                            Those who live their lives will leave the stuff that is really art” , Robert Henri the art spirit….

This is paraphrased from The Art Spirit and worded just as it was given to me by a dear friend 6 years ago…I like this version, it holds much truth…

So…my hopes for the year ahead is to live much and paint more as well…the goal is not a number but to completely enjoy what I do…(and hopefully do it well)

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
                            Becca's Fine Art

equinespirit

Ive agreed to take part in an exhibition late spring so need to get a body of work together for it.
                                Currently have 2 landscapes done, 1 almost done,2 Im working on and 1 Ive just started on.
                                Im aiming to get around 10 done altogether if I can find the time whilst doing my day job ( Im a jeweller).
                                Im also creating an equine ceramics range so busy juggling everything atm.
                                Its fun though!

contumacious

I don’t like the “G” word or the “R” word, but here are some of my subversive plans for the coming year.

Art
                                    Gain acceptance into two new galleries within 400 miles of where I live so I don’t have to ship everything.

Have a piece accepted into the OPA Western Regional.

Learn to paint faster so I can finish a plein air piece to my satisfaction in less than 3 hours.

Spend less time on the “interwebs” and more time painting.

Non Art
                                    Listen to the Spirit / inner voice and try to do something nice / helpful / needed, for someone else at least once a day.

TWAdair Art

New Years Day was my Birthday!

I’m going to make some major marketing pushes with my work this year.

I just launched my new website. http://www.twadairart.com

and I’m soon to start a youtube channel for video tutorials and an art blog.

I’m also focusing on creating a mailing list for email marketing.

This will be my 2nd year actively trying to sell my work so these steps are necessary to establish myself and a brand and get my work out there!

AnnieA

bhindi and equinespirit, ah yes, the ever elusive “body of work.” That’s another thing I should have added to my goals.

Geoff – congrats on such a productive and successful 2018.

Geoff and Bill – Concentrating more – a great goal, and yet another one for me to add to mine.

Becca, wise thoughts. I’ll keep that in mind this year.

contumacious – I love the subversiveness of your plans (which are certainly neither resolutions nor goals! :D ) Best wishes – you’re aiming high but I’m confident you’ll achieve them.

TWAdair – You also have ambitious 2019 plans, but it looks like you’re well on your way!

[FONT=Palatino]

KEVIN$

Goal:

Paint something that I approve of.

ks

Kevin Slaby
                                                2002 Mustang - 902hp but BROKE at 953hp
                                                http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm

AnnieA

Goal:

Paint something that I approve of.

ks

Kevin, depending on your personality, that might be a near impossible goal! I’ve realized I’ll never be completely satisfied with my own work, but now that I’ve painted a lot more, I can see genuine progress in it, which is what I strive for instead. Perhaps that would be a better goal for you too?

I also want to note that never being truly satisfied with your own work can either be hopelessly frustrating or a great motivator.

[FONT=Palatino]

WFMartin

New Years Day was my Birthday!

I’m going to make some major marketing pushes with my work this year.

I just launched my new website. [url]www.twadairart.com[/url]

and I’m soon to start a youtube channel for video tutorials and an art blog.

I’m also focusing on creating a mailing list for email marketing.

This will be my 2nd year actively trying to sell my work so these steps are necessary to establish myself and a brand and get my work out there!

Hi TWAdair Art,

I just feel compelled to tell you……..I visited your website, and in my opinion, those pieces that you have listed under your older work are a great deal better than those you have listed under your newer work. The piano is incredible, actually.:thumbsup:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

KEVIN$

Kevin, depending on your personality, that might be a near impossible goal!

Yea, my comment was a play on my own personality but I also know how I want my paintings to look and I’m sooo close to achieving it. I’m not looking for my perfect painting just the style(s) I want to achieve.

I think everyone tries to reach that next level for themselves but rarely looks back at their progress. I look back at mine all the time and study them b/c it helps me isolate/see where I have made progress and most importantly “why” my work looks better to me now. I can then isolate the next “area” to try and improve upon..blah, blah, blah..:wave:

Happy New Year!
                                                            Kevin

Kevin Slaby
                                                            2002 Mustang - 902hp but BROKE at 953hp
                                                            http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.