Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Front view of a woman, alla prima portrait 3 hours

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DecompressArt

Painted from life, didn’t get to record the time-lapse but I attached some process shots. I started with big masses rather than lines for this one. I think I prefer this method for woman and children because the lines on their faces are much softer and lighter, so it makes sense to start with masses. If I were to paint a man with full beards I would still use lines because that’s easier for me.

I make concise videos explaining the key concepts in representational art. ;)
        I'm self-taught so I make these videos as a way to teach and motivate myself.
        https://www.youtube.com/c/DecompressArt

Very well painted. Looks like you drew with brushes from the get go, impressive. I very much like to see the progress shots, thanks for posting.

Loretta7

Very well done. True expression. Textures and colors in hair remarkably natural.

[FONT="Tahoma"]CxC always welcome :thumbsup:

DecompressArt

Thank you both for the nice comments!

Walt Reunamo

There’s something very Richard Schmid’ty about how you painted that hair, very well done!

bhindi

Nice to see the progress. I especially like the rich red/browns of her hair and the lightly painted pink on her cheeks.

wal_t

I like your painting and I like your proces starting with the shapes …. i don,t know what it is but when done without drawing a portrait first the end result usually looks more alive and more interesting for some reasons even if it is less accurate … nice work, Walter.

equinespirit

I would be extremely happy if I had completed that in 3 hours!

DecompressArt

There’s something very Richard Schmid’ty about how you painted that hair, very well done!

Thank you! Richard Schmid is certainly one artist that I look up to, I love his book and have read it many many times. :)

DecompressArt

I like your painting and I like your proces starting with the shapes …. i don,t know what it is but when done without drawing a portrait first the end result usually looks more alive and more interesting for some reasons even if it is less accurate … nice work, Walter.

Thank you! That’s such an interesting observation! I have never thought of it that way but I think you are right…there is a tendency to be stiff if a line drawing is done first, at least that’s true for me

billmahler

Well done in every respect

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
                                            Winston Churchill.
                                            http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

RogueRipple

Very well done! I especially love the hair.

- Kelvin

"Things fall apart, it's scientific." - David Byrne

DecompressArt

Thank you Bill and Kelvin!

AWC123

Wow 3 hours. Nice work. I really like her eyes.

Boafamily

I like this very much nice going.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.