Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting What’s with the Italian?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Dick

Seems I have enough to learn without adding another language. Some of it is starting to rub off on me but I wouldn’t want to use these terms in a group of non-artists. I think I would come off snooty. I don’t even want to use them on this forum. I’d rather start my painting with a wet coat of brown, take it outside and paint it outside and get it done before I go back inside. Anyone can understand that.:wave:

Dick Hutchings
        Daniel Smith Essential 6 colors and Arches 140#

Humbaba

Could you elaborate a little more?, sounding professional and or educated is not a sin.

bhindi

Are you referring to an imprimatura?

Grisaille is French.

Pinguino

For breakfast, I had a cup of coffee with foamy milk instead of a latté. Rather than my usual croissant, I had one of those rolls shaped into a curve.

Maybe for lunch I’ll have a bowl of boiled wheat paste stuffed with ground meat and cheese, instead of ravioli. Or, I might go for the calories and have a spicy sausage with shredded cultured cabbage, instead of bratwurst with sauerkraut.

Michaelshane

If I ordered two shots of espresso with milk froth in a small glass my barista would say do you mean a cortado?

Someday everything is going to be different,when I paint my masterpiece.
                        Bob Dylan.

bhindi

Plein air is also French.

AllisonR

It is easier to say grisaille, plein air, imprimatura, croquis… than have to explain it with multiple words every time. Why should we have to explain “I drew from the live, nude model” every time instead of just saying “croquis”?

What about all the paint colors with french, german, italian names? “I painted with a deep warm rose color”, instead of just writing “”alizarin crimson”.

What about painting mediums that are in french or italien? Instead of saying “dammar” then “a light yellow glossy resin”. Not as accurate, and could apply to other mediums.

Perhaps we should get rid of the Wet Canvas forums that use french words – the Plein Air forum, the Cafe Guerbois forum

If I say I paint with brown paint, there are all sorts of guesses you have to make. Did I use brown and add white, to make lighter shades? Or did I use only brown, wiping away areas to get to the white? If I just say imprimatura, then you know already. If you don’t know the word, you can easily read the short, concise definition here:
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprimatura

And if you aren’t curious, then move on. But in my opinion there is no reason why everyone else should only use the most generic words. This is a painting forum. Basic painting terms are to be expected.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                Pinguino

Apparently, Attila the Hun could speak Latin (and possibly German) in addition to his own native language.

Good enough for Attila the Hun, good enough for oil painters! ;)

Raffless

The higher up you go the more this is noticeable. Gotta learn the lingo boy if you wanna mix with the big boys.

Dick

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m working on it but I don’t think anyone that I know would understand me if I used them. This is strictly artist lingo and most of the artists that I know do not have a degree or read forums like I do. I’ll try it out on some of them and see what kind of reaction I get.

Dick Hutchings

WFMartin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m working on it but I don’t think anyone that I know would understand me if I used them. This is strictly artist lingo and most of the artists that I know do not have a degree or read forums like I do. I’ll try it out on some of them and see what kind of reaction I get.

Hahaha…..Now, if you really want to impress your artist friends, and put on airs with unnecessary Italian lingo, give some of these words a try:

Verdaccio
                                                Chiaroscuro
                                                Imprimatura
                                                Sfumato
                                                Pentimento
                                                Sgraffito

Being a bit of a redneck artist, I’m actually a bit shocked that I find myself actually knowing what most of these high-falootin’ words mean!:lol: :lol: :lol:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Dick

If my wife here’s me talking like that she’ll divorce me! She’s a bit of a redneck as well.

Dick Hutchings

WFMartin

If my wife here’s me talking like that she’ll divorce me! She’s a bit of a redneck as well.

Hahaha…..Being married to a bluegrass musician/painter will do that to you.:lol: :lol:

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Don Ketchek

Hahaha…..Now, if you [B]really[/B] want to impress your artist friends, and put on airs with unnecessary Italian lingo, give some of these words a try:

Verdaccio
                                                            Chiaroscuro
                                                            Imprimatura
                                                            Sfumato
                                                            Pentimento
                                                            Sgraffito

Being a bit of a redneck artist, I’m actually a bit shocked that I find myself actually knowing what most of these high-falootin’ words mean!:lol: :lol: :lol:

As an artist for 40 years, I can only define 3 of these terms!

Personally, i would encourage you to do what you feel comfortable with. I call all underpaintings, well, underpaintings. The simpler the language, the more people will understand.

That, it seems to me, is the point of communicating. Not using big fancy words that show off how elite you are.

Just my opinion, of course.

Don

Dcam
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.