Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk palette addicts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 4,427 total)
  • Author
    alansam

any one like me who loves to buy palettes I am an addict ,I even have a few I have never used .I cant help it I love a nice clean palette
        and how I long for the old heavy metal ones with oval wells ,, the triangle pressed out shapped wells are not the same ,and the slop from one well to another in a flat bottomed holbien .
        who designed these things .they were not an artist I.m sure.

thats my rant for today T.T.F.N

ingegerd

I think I have managed to keep it under control, maybe because I realy like my big metal box.
            I have never used the empty plastic folding palette, I bought it when at a sale when a shop was closing down.
            I got the Russian box at the same time as the big metal one, it was cheaper to by a whole box than to buy the pans individually. I have put paint that I have rejected in it, mostly for not being light fast enough, so I use them and the box when I paint wrapping paper.

I have a large collection too Alan, but I tend to use either a sealed plastic palette or my Cotman Pocket Plus for plein air.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

alansam

I remember at one time the WxN heavy weight (no such thing as a light weight then)had deep oval wells .It may be easier to press the angle shaped wells they do now.do you think? this is an old one with oval wells , that has not been used ,as used on a Campbel Smith video.. I filled it but never used it

alansam

I love those palettes of yours Doug… I think you are a little addict .
                    nice being one though isnt it ?
                    good job we are not heavy smokers today eh/// what////.Doug???

alansam

eh I can see one there very clean indeed .have you been saving it .for another day.hee /hee/you are as bad me

Horsa

I have quite a collection. The smaller ones tend to see the most use. I do like enameled butchers trays and heavy porcelain when I can afford the though.

Light weight plastic, other than the cheap, folding hand-helds I just do not like.

My Painting Blog: http://adkpainter.blogspot.com/

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.

Tred

Ingregerd,
                                I am afraid that, unlike you, I have failed to get my addiction under control. I am a prime canditate for “Palettes Anonymous” should anyone start this help group. I have 8 plastic, 2 W&N tin, 2 Holbein type aluminium (none of which are in use) and the following pictured metal palettes. Apart from the W&N field box all are heavy, metal boxes.

Top Row – 3 x Spanish Palettes (don’t ask)
                                Second Row – Large W&N, Holbein, Reeves circa 1930
                                Third Row – Small Holbein, W&N Field Box, 2 x Small W&N
                                Bottom Row – Craig Young Paintbox .

"When I see a jumble; I paint just that" - John Yardley

Marcio C

I’m in the club… I have a 12 pan heavyweight metal, a 16 pan plastic and an 18 well Homee in use, plus a holbein metal and a 12 pan lightweight sitting on the bench, plus a 24 pan lightweight and a John Pike new and unused.

Bobar57

You can count me in the Palettes Anonymous group,even if at the moment I have only a black tin one for 24 full pans.But I won’t stop there.I aim to have in the future a Holbein 500 and if possible a Craig Young paintbox,I dream about it.

Bob

"Good watercolors are visual poetry;word pictures translated into color images that sing,or sob,as they stir the emotions of the viewer."
                                        -Robert Wade

Tred

Bob,

My 3 Spanish paletes are a result of a thread you participated in last year and the reason I got 3 was to keep the cost per box down due to the excessive postage. From memory postage for 1 was 80 euros and three cost me 95 euros.

I have not come across a box with larger wells but the finish isn’t to the standard of the W&N boxes and they won’t take a lot of miss use.

At a little over 500 grams they are on the heavy side but a nice box never the less.

I have a Craig Young Pocket Box on order and sheckles are being put aside for when Craig tells me he is about to start making it.
                                            Cheers
                                            Tred

"When I see a jumble; I paint just that" - John Yardley

alansam

And I thought I was on my own being mad .lets droole together .

its the cupboard draw thats sagging now..

ingegerd

Is there anyone else than me who googles watecolour boxes using different languages?

Bobar57

Is there anyone else than me who googles watecolour boxes using different languages?

Wow,you need medical attention,not Palettes Anonymous,you’re way beyond that,LOL:lol::lol::lol:.

Bob

"Good watercolors are visual poetry;word pictures translated into color images that sing,or sob,as they stir the emotions of the viewer."
                                                        -Robert Wade

ingegerd

At least it’s not costing me any money.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 4,427 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.