Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Still life: Fruits and a blue vase

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Hi. I am new in this forum. My main thing is pastel portraits but I decided to try oil and started with this simple composition. It took me a while, but I think I almost finished it. This work is practically finished and the canvas is 12×16. gesso panel. I used Rembrandt oils and I would like to have some comments and critiques. Trying oils is not as simple as using pastels! My goal is to do just still life at least for now. I have been watching videos as well. Thank you for looking. C&C are welcomed!

Humburger

Beautiful.

Ginny
        www.virginiacmccoy.com
        C & C Welcome

Anonymous

very good textures, colors, and compostion.

123harry

Very well done. Great feeling of light on the solid forms. I like the subtle backlights.
                The only point which jars slightly (to my eye) is the reflection of the apple on the vase. It seems a little too dark and maybe not quite the right hue.

C&C always welcome.
                Instagram harry.hamill

Humberger, Sidbledsoe, Harry: Thank you for the comments.
                In fact Harry I noticed that also. The apple is closer to the vase and there was a reddish reflexion, plus the yellow side of the apple and the shadow made this reflection barely seen. Good observation though.

snoball

Love this. The colors and the texture have a certain Old Master look to them.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                    My work on Facebook

midwest

Beautifully done

Kathie :

Snoball, Midwest: Thank you.

Amian3d

First of all, what a great job for someone who’s just starting out doing still lifes. You have achieved a convincingly 3d feel to it, also love the textures.
                            My only critique is edge work, softening a bit of those harsh outlines of the vase and the pear. But it doesn’t take away the beauty of the piece.

billmahler

Congratulations on your first oil painting. I switched to oils about 10 years ago.
                                It was difficult at first but I’m glad I did.

Nice work here. As Amian3d said, check your edges.

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
                                Winston Churchill.
                                http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

Hamburgefions

I agree with Amian on the edges (too hard).
                                    I would also bring some texture in the fruits. Especially the pear looks like your vase, regarding texture.

Amian, Bill, Hamburgerfions:
                                    Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Those will be fixed for sure.

Very well rendered.
                                    I want to offer some advice from one of my better painting teachers:
                                    The colors are very localized, the blue is all shades of blue, orange is mostly all shades of orange, the pear is mostly shades of green with the exception of the red in the shadow (which to me is the best part of this painting). Since you say you are new to oils, if you are using black to achieve the darks, I would advise to not use black until you have learned more about mixing colors to achieve the range of values within the hues.

kentiessen

Very well done Moises! Be careful, you may become taken with oils and leave pastel altogether. They certainly are different in many ways- application, mixing, etc., degree of control. What do you like about them after this, and did you work from a still life or image?

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                                        Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

bhindi

Nice composition and painting. I’d soften edges a little more.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.