Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Darkroom Show Us Your Best Stuff, January, 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Guidelines for this thread are:

This thread will remain a sticky for the duration of the month. You are invited to post as frequently as you like with only one restriction, the photo should be taken by YOU in the month that is posted at the top of this thread. Since you posted the image because you considered it is some of your best work, I am asking that comments be restricted to only praise and applause.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Anonymous

Since it’s so early in the month, I could consider pretty much any decent shot as being among my best stuff. But I’m pretty satisfied with this one…

[Nikon D7500 with Nikkor 18-300mm taken at 220mm, shutter priority, 1/4000 sec, f/6.3, ISO 280, processed in ACR then PSCS5]

My small neighborhood has had 100s of crows flying noisily around the past couple of months.

As I was walking Pippin this afternoon, I had thoughts of getting a shot of one in flight and I switched to a fast shutter speed to increase my chances of a sharp shot.

I also crossed the street so the sun was positioned to better light the birds if they flew where I thought they would.

Battling Pippin’s tugs on the leash (GEESH, just what I needed – another factor working against an in-focus shot), I was ready when 10 or so crows took flight. The camera had to be handheld in order to pan and track the flight paths.

As expected, most of the shots were woefully unfocused. A few more were marginal, and one showed promise.

Processing was pretty involved: the fast shutter speed darkened the image (as I knew it would), but I trusted the camera to live up to it’s low light capabilities. So into ACR then PSCS5, where I lightened it considerably, using a mask to control where the lightening showed and how strong it was. Of course, lightening messed up the colors, so I adjusted that, again with a mask to restrict the color intensity adjustment to just the bird. (Otherwise, the sky would have been a jarring, intense, and unnatural hue.)

A few other small adjustments followed by the last step – a bit of sharpening, although not as much as I’d expected I’d need.

So the good news is I got a good shot of a bird in flight – I can think of only one or two others I’ve managed over the years. The bad news is that it’s of something as common and unexciting as a crow.

But it’s reasonably sharp, I like that the primary flight feathers are deployed in graceful curves as the bird maneuvers, there is enough detail visible in the bird that it’s not a flat black (at least on my screen), and the small twigs add something without (I hope) being a distraction.

Hey Dave,
        A good clean capture of the crow. I am glad you also included the curvy branches at the bottom. The flip of the wing feathers and the curve of the branches mimic one another.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
        Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Juicy and Jazzy (that’s the name of the perfumes!)

Anonymous

WOW! I really like this – lots of good stuff in this deceptively simple photo:

==> nicely composed,

==> perfectly exposed,

==> a different subject that makes it a rather intimate still life,

==> good diagonals and curves to enliven things,

==> and a great example of complementary colors.

Your detailed comments are appreciated, Dave.
            Thank you so much.
            LORELL

Dreamin

That crow image is composed nicely! As Lorell stated, the branches add to the image!!
                Lorell, WOW! Praise and applause!! (ditto what Dave said!!)

Natalie

Many thanks Natalie.

Okay, if I posted this without my name attached, you probably would not have guessed that it was mine. I have a tendency to take closeups of everything from cows to grasshoppers. That’s my style. So, when I spotted this in my collection from my Sunday shoot in the Piquette Ave Car Museum in Detroit, I didn’t recognize it as my work and pleasantly surprised how it looked. All the other 599 photos that I took are close-ups (well almost :lol: ). So I am really enjoying this one. I hope you do too. The photo really loses a lot of detail because of the file size restriction.

Okay, here’s a close up.

We have stores that sell only things that are made in Michigan. This was inside of one of the stores.

Humburger

Such lovely photos. My favorite is the close up of the tires. :-)

Ginny
                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                    C & C Welcome

Dreamin

Great images, Lorell, again! I agree, the tires closeup is impressive!

Natalie

Dreamin

Natalie

Anonymous

I’m loving your photos, Lorell. A variety of interesting subjects very well captured.

Natalie, I love the subject, sharpness, texture, and bokeh in you bluejay photo.

Dreamin

Natalie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.