Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Blue Grosbeak – WIP (first ever CP drawing)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    kerri_oz

I just got myself a 150 set of Prismacolor pencils and here is my first attempt to draw with them. On el cheapo A5 watercolor paper, which I don’t think is helping the process much, but I’m quite enjoying playing around with it. Much slower than soft pastels, for sure! This is about 6 hours in. Any tips/suggestions/advice welcome, as I really don’t know what I’m doing with them. I’ve got isopropol alchohol, which I’ve read can be used for blending.

I'm here to grow and learn as an artist, so C&C always welcome :D

KarenESP
            kerri_oz

Oh, the process ones are what I’ve done. The image on the left of each one is the reference. Sorry for the confusion.

jonc50

Very nice work Kerri!

kerri_oz

Thanks, Jon :)

Very good start. You’ll find lots of layers does well.

Penny
                        I live in Wiltshire, England
                        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

kerri_oz

More progress. I’m finding the less defined feathers in his head and neck quite hard. I have to try and stop myself from embellishing and adding detail that isn’t actually there, but that my brain is telling me has to be there, whether I can see it or not.

ladypainter

Very nice work. Lovely color and looks nearly identical to the other .

Elinor:wave:
                                "keep your own time tickin"

frida

Very good work!!! :clap:

Whatever you do, don’t lose the highlighted edge of the large feathers, that add great volume information to the body… Have you ever used masking film? This seems like the ideal situation for it, as the pencil pigment removal can be very subtle, but not after “fixing” the colour with any solvent, though.

And don’t be afraid to mix other blues, so the basic blue doesn’t look flat. Of course always test the combinations on a scrap piece of the same paper. Blues can be glorious used that way…!

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

kerri_oz

This is how he’s ended up. Not fantastic, but a good first practice with CPs, I think. I might revisit him at a later date once I get better with them. I’ll use different paper for the next one, and maybe try different blending techniques.

KJSieloff

This is a beautiful first CP practice piece!! As Frida said, different blues will add depth. Here’s a trick I use to figure out exactly which ones: cut scraps of the same paper into small squares with a hole in the middle. Place the scrap over a place on your ref photo you are trying to match the color, the color you are trying to match showing through the hole. Then use different pencils to layer on your scrap piece, trying to get as close to the color showing through the hole as possible. Isolating areas in this way is tedious, but you would be surprised how many different ranges of color you will discover. Then make notes on which colors and which order you arrived at. I hope this helps, and happy coloring!! I can’t wait to see more, this bird I beautiful!!!

Kathy Sieloff
                                            My Website

kerri_oz

:) Thanks for the all tips and encouragement. The bits of paper with the holes in sound like a good idea.

frida

I guess that in the confusion with your references at the beginning I missed the fact this was your “first ever CP drawing”… My apologies. You are doing great, and the important thing is that you are open to feedback! :thumbsup:

To amplify on what Kathy recommends for selecting colours, this is what I learned along the way. I usually use a separate strip for each piece, and note the # of the pencils around the hole, which comes in handy for something else:

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

KarenESP
                                                        frida

What better endorsement than Karen’s??? If you know your way around WC look for her work WIPs. A CP Animal Encyclopedia… :)

Raquel from Toronto, CDA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.