Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Non-toxic solvent

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 267 total)
  • Author
    Ellis Ammons

Just saw this non-toxic thinner on Blick #Sennelier Green for Oil Thinner. It would be awesome if this is good stuff :clap: :crossfingers: I have some on order to try in a week or so. It’s said to not require ventilation!
        https://www.dickblick.com/products/sennelier-green-for-oil-thinner/

Anyone tried it?
        Does it completely evaportate?
        Is it archival?
        Is it smelly?
        How is the shelf life if it’s mixed with medium?

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
        oil and acrylic paintings..

JCannon

Color me hopeful. Other eco-friendly solvents have proven disappointing. There have been soy-based products which — according to reports — do not dry well at all.

Maybe this one is different. Sennelier is a venerable company and they know what artists need.

Gigalot

No data available. That is everything I can get from it’s MSDS sheet. Said it is viscous liquid with very low evaporation. Very low evaporation properties do not impressed me because radical polymerization process of oil curing decrease molecular weight of polymer with the presence of inert molecules. OMS will evaporate rapidly and can’t affect oil polymer molecular weight. But I am not sure about this diluent. Looks like a kind of bio-diesel methylated fatty acid. But, again, no data available. Try for “brush cleaning” purpose instead of deadly non-toxic Walnut oil. :) If it evaporates very slowly during weeks or months, then it might be better to use refined linseed oil instead. Linseed oil dries slowly, but it is monomer and increases molecular weight of dried paint film molecules.

Bona fide Gum distilled turpentine has pleasant vanilla odor and 100% biodegradation properties. ECO-product made from Siberian Larch tree balsamic sap. Has the same odor as natural Larch balsam in the forest. Gives positive medical effect in micro-dozes for patients with tuberculosis. Traditional artists’ grade paint diluent, Nevskaya Palitra sells it in 120 ml bottles. Do not store in open containers because it oxidize and that gives unpleasant smell to oxidized product.

Raffless

Its a bio solvent. Lemon oil and parrafin oil most likely. Same as this.

http://www.bioproducts.com.au/cmsviews/biothinner

Gigalot

[url]http://www.bioproducts.com.au/cmsviews/biothinner[/url]

Wait, paraffin oil is a hydrocarbon petroleum distillate. Both, citrus and petroleum solvents are toxic and has limitation. It is also highly flammable. Actually, it is common mineral spirit with citrus solvent addition as a fragrance to mask petroleum distillate odor. The name BIO is a kind of “social adapted truth” for silly persons. :evil: If such solvent is “bio”, then all other OMS are “Bio” and even less toxic because citrus solvent is much more toxic than OMS. Whom they want to fool ?:lol:

But in msds of Sennelier product , bio solvent is proposed as non-toxic and non-flammable. I guess, it is bio-diesel rather than petroleum distillate.

Ellis Ammons

[url]http://www.bioproducts.com.au/cmsviews/biothinner[/url]

It’s not the same. The biothinner is toxic, requires special ventilation, and is flammable.

The Sennelier green thinner is non-toxic, doesn’t require special ventilation, you can even carry it on planes.. It’s made to replace petroleum distillate.

I trust Blick they wouldn’t sell the stuff if what they claimed isn’t true. But they don’t tell us very much.

Raffless

It’s not the same. The biothinner is toxic, requires special ventilation, and is flammable.

The Sennelier green thinner is non-toxic, doesn’t require special ventilation, you can even carry it on planes.. It’s made to replace petroleum distillate.

I trust Blick they wouldn’t sell the stuff if what they claimed isn’t true. But they don’t tell us very much.

Toxicity report?
                                Data sheet?
                                Its a solvent. Its in the description. If they have discovered the ‘holy grail’ then it would be in the news.

Raffless

Wait, paraffin oil is a hydrocarbon petroleum distillate. Both, citrus and petroleum solvents are toxic and has limitation. It is also highly flammable. Actually, it is common mineral spirit with citrus solvent addition as a fragrance to mask petroleum distillate odor. The name BIO is a kind of “social adapted truth” for silly persons. :evil: If such solvent is “bio”, then all other OMS are “Bio” and even less toxic because citrus solvent is much more toxic than OMS. Whom they want to fool ?:lol:

But in msds of Sennelier product , bio solvent is proposed as non-toxic and non-flammable. I guess, it is bio-diesel rather than petroleum distillate.

I hope not. Bio Diesel does more destruction to the earth. Diesel is being phased out of every car manufacturing plant

Gigalot

I hope not. Bio Diesel does more destruction to the earth. Diesel is being phased out of every car manufacturing plant

Bio-Diesel fuel is made from vegetable oil’s fatty acids and methanol. It is methyl ester of that. Diesel engine produce much nitrogen oxide when works. But bio fuel itself isn’t problematic. Good stuff to clean brushes.

Raffless

The name BIO is a kind of “social adapted truth” for silly persons

Ahem:)
                                            Sennelier are a fav co. of mine. They are well established and their pastels are second to none. Maybe this is worth a try.

Gigalot

BiO is commercial trick to sell already well known old product as “innovation” stuff. Solvents are well known products at least last 100 years. Modern chemistry is powerful science. It is near impossible to invent new simple molecules for solvent purpose in the age of super fine farmaceutical and fine chemistry synthesis. All solvents have long history of use and nobody can improve nothing unless they try to re-name well known product and put “BIO” label as a commercialm trick.
                                                Before using Senneler’s “bio-diesel” ;) as a paint diluent, better to try it on glass surface to examine how fast it can evaporate.

Sennelier are a fav co. of mine.

Then what is a reason to totally close all information about their suspected solvent? If they are so brave and cool, why they use a cheapo tricks as poor companies do? the same for their suspected “Sans Cadmium” pigments! :confused: :eek: Is anybody want to steal such secrets?

Richard P

I thought all solvents were by their nature toxic to some degree?

Harold Roth
                                                        Anonymous

In this case of regular traditional oil paints, water isn’t a solvent.

Sennelier is calling this stuff green, but then they refuse to come clean and identify the chemical ingredients. I won’t use unknown ingredients that secrets.

Ellis Ammons

Has anyone contacted them? Maybe it has some literature in the box.. It is new so maybe they haven’t had time to write anything formal up yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 267 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.