WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

at night all cats are grey

I've been doing a lot of night paintings recently and it occurred to me - the night sky irl always looks the same.

If you do a series of say seascapes - and one painting has an azure sky another cerulean, etc. and hung them together I think it would look fine. But if you hung a series of nightscapes together - it would look strange, or draw attention, if the skies were not the same. Individually you could have different skies but if hung together you would want the same look in all of them.

The daytime sky changes thru-out the day, thru different seasons and weather since it's lit by a big light that moves, gets filtered, etc. The night sky has no light - it is the absence of light, hence it doesn't change.

That's not technically true, the moon can have an effect and just before dawn and just after sunset has a different look. But if you're painting night scenes outside those exceptions, and intend for them to be (at some point) hung together - I think it would look odd if the skies were not the same.

I use a chromatic black for my night sky - that is a mix of colors, rather than a tube black. And I make the mix on the whim of the moment or what I think will off-set the scene. So I think I need to come up with a standard night sky receipt. or not?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: at night all cats are grey

I have just started with the joys of creating blacks. I sincerely thought that if I didn't have a tube of a color I couldn't do a damn thing. I have found that I like dark skies to have a touch of deep blue or purple. The dark skies after sunset and just before sunrise has a bit of red or orange red.

What I miss most is when I lived in the city I could lay on the grass and stare at the night skies forever. The stars moved and would become brighter or less so. Here in the city there are no stars and I find that to be so very sad. Sunrise and sunset are more vibrant because of more pollution.

Also in the night skies, the position of the moon and its phases. Some nights are very bright and others are very dark. Just because it hasn't been a common thing for artists to make people aware of night sky differences doesn't mean you cannot be the first!

Do a series where all the land markers are the exact same but appear so differently under the changing night skies.

Of course I cannot do it but I can see it and encourage others!

Sheila aka RoadLessTaken