Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Calligraphy Pilot Parallel Pen and Ink

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    minimuse

Hi Everyone!

I have recently acquired a set of Pilot Parallel Pens (PPP) and have become quite smitten with them. The two Namiki Cartridges that are provided are great but I realize sooner rather than later, they will run dry. I am leaning more toward purchasing a few CON- 20 Bladder converters for my pens and looking at purchasing ink so that I am not “trapped” into using a cartridge until I’ve used all the ink.

That being said, I’ve found wonderful resources for cleaning the pen and cartridges, reloading them with ink, PPP usage and projects but nothing on good inks to use with them. Granted I am new to the world of fountain pens but I do know that you don’t use inks that can potentially dry, harden and otherwise make pens unusable, like Indian Ink, with any fountain pen.

Is it really as easy as I can use any ink compatible with a fountain pen in the PPP?

Thanks for your help,
        Minimuse

Try sending a private message yo Pedlars Pen in the main firum here, also check his thread about pens on the main P& I page, he may have some ideas.

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

minimuse – you can indeed use any FP ink with PPP’s. As with any writing instrument, some inks will work better than others. The broader nibs will result in a slightly lighter shade of the ink than thinner nibs.

The new rage in FP inks is glittery concoctions – they produce beautiful results with Parallel Pens.

Indian ink is no-no because the binders used in it clog the fine channels of the feed. The PPP feed can take a lot more abuse than regular FP’s but Indian ink might be a bit too tough on it. Acrylic inks designed for dip pen or brush use should also be avoided. It is good practice to avoid pigmented inks unless they are specifically designed for use in fountain pens.

I know some people have successfully used Gouache (mixed to ink-like consistency) in their Parallel pens. I would not recommend leaving it in the pen for long though.

Regards,
        Salman

Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those doing it.

My Blog
        Anonymous

I second all of the above posts’ cautions about using Indian or acrylic inks though a fountain pen , further I would suggest you might like to try “Winsor & Newton calligraphy Ink” – you can only use the ink sold with blue coloured tops though a fountain pen in this range (NOT red coloured tops.) , & even then you shouldn’t leave it lying unused for very long because it might become blocked.
            This ink is permanent & will not fade on exposure to light, so you can hang your work on the wall & it will last a long time.
            It is thick & of a rich saturated colour.
            I would recommend this ink above all others that I know for your PPP, as long as you Scribble a line or two on a scrap piece of paper every few days you will be fine.
            You will find this ink will give you the richest / darkest & most saturated colour of all the inks.

Another ink coming in a close second would be “Higgins Eternal” (Black only), this “eternal” name refers again to it’s permanency, it is not quite as rich & intense as the W&N I mentioned first but when used through a PPP it is fine because of it’s very “wet” flow. Again this is an ink to keep using or scribbling on a piece of scrap to avoid clogging the pen.

I would advise against using any normal fountain pen ink because they are dye based & will fade on exposure to light.
            However if you are journaling etc. where the work will be in a book- hidden & protected from the light that may not be a consideration.
            In that case the fountain pen ink “Pelican 4001” series (black colour only) would be fine too, although the only advantage over the other inks I mentioned would be that you could leave it unused & forgotten about for ages & no harm would come to it.
            Have fun ! Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.