Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Watercolor Studio July 2018 Watercolor Challenge – Rose "Golden Wedding"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author

I’m a bit early this month as we are going away for a few days. This month it is a rose which was presented to us on our Golden Wedding.

Large version in the RIL

I did it in my art class and added the dark background at home around 9×12 on Langton 140lb rough pad, I used mostly New Gamboge for the rose, the background is a dark green mix.

Hope you like it, there’s no time limit to challenges.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Hi Doug, Have a nice time away. Lovely rose and like how yours turned out. I will try this rose soon.

LIL

Lyndylu

Very nice! That center leaf looks more real than the real one!

Lyndylu

Spectacular job, Doug! The values are excellent.

Joy
        C & C encouraged!

olliewood0702

Gorgeous photo of your golden wedding rose but your painting is tops!! It glows. 👍😍 great challenge Doug.

Darla

If I create from the heart, nearly everything works: if from the head, almost nothing. — Marc Chagall

bikegrinch

Heya, this one was fun. On A5 smooth.

Tanja

Good morning,
                    here is my take on the rose. Congratulations to your anniversary, Doug.

24*15 (inches)
                    300g/m2 cotton paper (noname)
                    W&N colors (1 Sennelier red)

I am looking forward to your feedback.

:wave: Greetings to y’all from sunny Dresden with crisp and clear blue skies (what a gorgeous summer so far).

Tanja

less is more

Hi bikegrinch, well done at that size.

Hi Tania, traditionally yellow shadows are seen as the complement but I think they spoil the effect. I picked new gamboge as the only colour and used it for the deepest shadows, using it straight from the tube and lightened it toward the edges of the petals with clean water. I painted alternate petals, allowing each one to dry thoroughly to reserve the sharp edges.

Doug

Tanja

Hi Doug,
                        I agree the violet shadow does not work so well.
                        It requires a lot of patience to let each leaf dry before painting the next one, I am a bit afraid of losing the feel for the painting when I do that, so that it looks like cut and paste.
                        But I will give it another try, using both recommendations…

Greetings

Tanja

less is more

bikegrinch

So I showed mine to a church group tonight, and it sold (total surprise, completely unexpected ). Woot.

Gosh yellow is a pain. I love the life everyone has managed to get into these.

Thanks for shadows advice earlier Yorky. I took advantage.

This is bockinford rough paper, WN paint, and about 20cm by 20cm.

All criticism and advice welcome.

If you stick to the deepest yellow for the shadows it works well. I think your rose is nice. I had problems with the background too so I simply painted it with a very dark green mix which had the added advantage of contrasting well with the rose. I think you could continue with that dark green background you used in the lower part of your painting,

Doug

Lyndylu

This one is a “cheat” — I painted this similar yellow rose about a year ago. I really love graduating colors from light to dark (or vice versa). This one is M. Graham on 11×15 Arches CP. I hope to try your reference photo with a different technique, just for fun.

You’re right, Yorky — it goes best when you work on the petals alternately, at least if you’re not going for a loose effect. Sometimes I have three different paintings going, because I don’t like hauling out my hair dryer all the time, and waiting makes me lose the creative moment.

Lyndylu

Beautiful rose Lindylu, you handled the yellows well.

Doug

ams

Lovely ref this month Doug. I couldn’t resist the beautiful flower.

Doug, love the deep yellows against the dark background. It really makes the flower pop. Hope you had an enjoyable anniversary trip.

Bikegrinch, nice painting. Good work on the complex background too.

Tanja, very nice. Good job modeling the soft curves of the petals. Good contrast against the hint of small flowers in the background.

Oneneedletoomany, I like the depth of your yellows on the rose and the sketchy flowers in the background.

Lyndylu, beautiful modeling of the petals. They are so soft I feel I could touch them. Good hint of the foliage in the background.

Here’s mine. I chose to keep the background simple and suggestive without any real detail so the flower pops. I used a touch of blue and green on some of the shadows but I think I overdid it. Oh well. The yellows are a little softer irl, they didn’t scan real well.

Anne

Anne
                                    C & C always welcome.
                                    https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/wip-still-life-with-purple-underpainting/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.