Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    skipstah

Started a new painting of a cool lookin’ critter I found in my backyard last year. This large cicada was a beautiful pale green with crazy alien eyes. Apparently this is either a 13 or 17 year cycle cicada… so I won’t be seeing, or hearing them again for a while in Southern Ontario. Worthy of a painting for sure! This 8×10 oil.

C&C most welcome. cheers, Mike

WEBSITE

CaliAnn

Creepy, eerily beautiful! Your background choice really sets him off perfectly :)

KareBear94

Really cool, he does have alien looking eyes. ;)

maryinasia

Very cool

Cool painting! I only saw a brownish cicada once and did he make a terrific noise!

Christel

This is fabulous Mike. I really like the transparency in the wings.:thumbsup:

Chammi
                    My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

I like this. The colours are good.

Penny
                    I live in Wiltshire, England
                    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Triduana

This is really good! I’ve always liked hearing cicadas, though I’ve never seen one. Nice detail and I like the transparent wings too. The background colour was a good choice. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

This is wonderful work, Mike, WOW!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

fedetony

This is cool, wish you could not see the ref lines ;)

Federico Garcia
                            My Blog
                            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

skipstah

Taking a second pass at this guy and building up some thicker paint. I’m hoping to go for a more suggestive/abstract finish with this in the end.. ambiguous edges and lines around the side of the body and wings. Also trying hard to get that fuzzy look for parts of the back carapace and such.

C&c most welcome. Thanks, Mike

WEBSITE

skipstah

Creepy, eerily beautiful! Your background choice really sets him off perfectly :)

Thanks CaliAnn! I started with a simple palette, but that may change. I keep seeing more colours!! lol

Really cool, he does have alien looking eyes.

Thanks KareBear. They are freaky lookin’ bugs!

Cool painting! I only saw a brownish cicada once and did he make a terrific noise!

Thanks Christel. They do get pretty loud when they start congregating. Also drone loudest in the heat of mid-day.

This is fabulous Mike. I really like the transparency in the wings.

Appreciated Chammi! The transparency of the wings is particularly beautiful with these bugs. I want to capture their iridescent quality.

This is really good! I’ve always liked hearing cicadas, though I’ve never seen one. Nice detail and I like the transparent wings too. The background colour was a good choice.

Thanks Kay! I’m kind of the same way. I always remember hearing these things at the peak of summer, but never actually knew what they looked like until someone pointed them out. lol

This is wonderful work, Mike, WOW!

Thanks Kay!

This is cool, wish you could not see the ref lines

Good eye Federico, and…. I’m on it! Them lines gone! :lol:

Thanks also Penny and Lisa! :wink2:

WEBSITE

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.