WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum > WIPs (Works in Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 PM

Canola oil & gas... Experimenting

Being a new painter this year and having no art experience to speak of, I find that the paintings that I am attracted to and want to work towards I just can’t wrap my head around. I love impressionistic work as well as abstract realism and when I start a painting I have all intentions of being loose and gestural but I find myself noodling and noodling at it because I just am not ever happy and the noodling makes things more understandable, but not what I want. It is a vicious circle...

Anyways, I started this 20x16 oil painting this weekend of a local scene I drive past daily on my way to work and I often stop and just study it. This past summer I took a few pics and decided to try and paint it intentionally staying loose and free and not try and detail into it too much. It is basically trying to demonstrate the juxtaposition of the industrial nature of a NatGas plant in the middle of a farmers canola field. I find the scene quite striking in real life and I want to try and see if I can make something reflective of the emotion I get from it.

I have attached a pic of where I am at with it as well as the photo reference material. I am at a point where I am trying to determine how far and what direction to go with certain aspects (well all of it really but certain things first). For example, in the photo there is a lot of the yellow of the canola showing through the trees and I am wondering if trying to replicate that will be too much detail. Also, regarding the workings of the gas plant itself. Should I try and push back the detailing I have already done or is working on it even deeper a good idea? There are many areas I need to address of course such as the width of the stack, land texture and terrain as well as the road but, I can get too deep quick so I am taking a step back and trying to think this through. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by bobbybirds : 12-15-2019 at 09:09 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 05:07 AM

Re: Canola oil & gas... Experimenting

I can see what you are trying to accomplish.

Rather than paint this literally. I would make some changes. Go into your wallet and break out you "artistic license".

Right now the road takes you right out of the painting, to the right.

Let the road go right through the trees. Use an S curve.

It's not obvious it is a farmer's field. Perhaps a farmhouse in the distance would help.

Even though it is a canola field, solid yellow doesn't give that impression. Some "row marks" going back into the painting would help.

I would change the name to "Progress?" or something that conveys your message more clearly and causes the viewer to think.

You are definitely on the right track. Keep at it.

Wait till the painting is touch dry, then cover it with plastic wrap. Paint any potential changes right on the plastic.

IMHO, you are over thinking the painting process. Painting can be a long journey. The fun IS the journey , not the destination. Style comes subconsciously as you grow as an artist, You can't "build it in" it will show.

Harry
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2019, 09:55 PM

Hey I appreciate the thoughts and ideas Harry! I never though about testing ideas with plastic wrap. I can see how that will be helpful! The road I was thinking about too, but I was thinking the fact the curve was forming a bit of an arrow pointing inward might have been acceptable, but I absolutely can see what you are saying. Same with the Canola... Trying to show the crop rather than simply the colour is a trick isn't it? I will keep at it! Thanks again!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2019, 09:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
Adelaide Hills

Hails from Australia

Agree with Harry, plus find your horizon. I notice that even the photo is tilted.
Use the stack as a reference, it has to be perpendicular to the horizon, that is an engineering absolute.
As Harry was saying, don't be a slave to the reference, apart from the above, unless you want to go totally abstract.
Regards
Andrew