Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing picture hanging hardware

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bongo

I usually use D rings on the backside of the frame then run the wire to just under the top piece of frame so that when It’s hung the wall hanger won’t be touching the frame and can hang close to the wall (these are float frames with panel paintings).

My problem is when I have a cross brace I can’t do it that way – open to suggestions.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
        STUDIOBONGO

MarcF

The only way around it that I can see, is use 2 picture hangers at the same horizontal elevation, thus straddling the cross brace. And since you’re using wire (as opposed to fixed eye loops) you should be able to level out the frame after hanging.

bongo

Good ideal Mark that should work. Actually, you should use two hooks for all paintings so that they will stay level after hanging and especially for larger paintings to share the weight — but I don’t.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                STUDIOBONGO

La_

and/or rotate your vertical cross brace to a horizontal orientation and carry on …

la

bongo

The way I (unintentionally)drew it, it should be braced the other way.
                        Portrait orientation should be braced horizontally, and Landscape orientation should be braced vertically.

Another solution to the problem would be to use two braces (instead of one) placed on either side of center.

STUDIOBONGO

La_

‘should be’ … why?
                            perhaps i’m daft, but what difference would that make to the front of the painting?

la

MarcF

If the cross brace is horizontal (and not vertical as you drew it), then I don’t see your problem. The cross brace should not interfere with the D rings or hanging wire in that orientation. Can you restate the original problem please?

WFMartin

Sorry, but I do not see your problem. Why would the brace interfere with your hanging wire in the slightest degree? Even if the apex of the loop of your hanging wire were directly behind the brace, what possible interference would that have upon the hanging of the painting?

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

MarcF

Sorry, but I do not see your problem. Why would the brace interfere with your hanging wire in the slightest degree? Even if the apex of the loop of your hanging wire were directly behind the brace, what possible interference would that have upon the hanging of the painting?
                                        08-04-2019 12:54 PM

it seems to me if you wanted it as flat as possible against the wall – as I think the bongolian had stressed – then the brace and the picture hanger(s) have to be in different locations. The hanger(s) and wire can be below the canvas level by being in the recess behind the canvas except where the cross brace is.

bongo

should be’ … why?
                                            perhaps i’m daft, but what difference would that make to the front of the painting?

It’s for stability – makes the frame stronger, and helps support the panel which is subject to bending – so from that standpoint it can effect the front as well.

The brace should be placed perpendicular to the longest dimension. So what ever side is the longest, the brace should be perindicular to it.

STUDIOBONGO

pa-paw

Unless the brace is of a greater thickness and somewhat raised above the back of your frame it would be the same as having a solid back frame. A framing wire hanger should work fine.:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pa-paw/
                                                [FONT=Calibri]Photography and Art Work

bongo

This is what I’m trying to avoid (exaggerated to illustrate)

if the hanger hits any the frame or brace

STUDIOBONGO

pa-paw

This is the way that is suggested. If your brace is level with the back of your frame this should work perfectly. :)

MarcF

Pa-paw that does not look like a flush to wall mounting.

Thebongolian – (Once again), by using more than 1 hanger, and getting everything in the recess behind the canvas (or panel), you should be able to achieve a totally flush mounting.

pa-paw

Marc, is right and my post was a complete mistake in not understanding the problem. I used to have a router bit called a Keyhole Slot Router Bit that I have used in the past. You plunge the bit into the back of the picture frame and run it down a length of the frame creating a channel for the head of a nail or screw. You can adjust the depth of the channel desired on the router. The point of the plunge creates a hole in which to insert a nail or screw head that had previously been fastened to a wall. I have a few frames hanging with this system hanging in my home. There are several places such as Rockler Wood Working that sell this type of router bit. I hope this helps.:)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.