WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM
South Western NY state

Hails from United States
Newbe Question......

Newbe question, Iíve started to take my drawings out to local arts and craft show/sales. Had a strange thing happen this weekend, my wife was watching my booth while I was away for a few minutes, a gentleman came up and started taking photographs of some of my work with a high quality digital camera. When she asked him what he was doing he said he was going to send it to his daughter. My wife thinking she was doing the right thing basically demanded he delete it from his camera. Whatís your opinions on this subject did she do the right thing or not? Iím not sure myself, I told her we should put up a sign asking people not to photograph or at least ask first. On one hand he could have very easily made a nice print of my work without paying, on the other hand his daughter may have been a prospective buyer. Not sure how I should approach this in the future.
TIA Jerry
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Potsdam, NY

Hails from United States
Re: Newbe Question......

I would be suspicious of anyone who started taking photos of my art with a quality camera. Especially if they were photographing individual pieces rather than a full display.

Many artists, galleries, and museums have "no photography" policies. The Portlan, Maine, Art Museum, has designated some, but not all of their collection open to photography. Many of the pices that are marked "no photos" are on loan either from other museums or private collectors.

This is our ART: useless, boring, impotent, elitist, and very, very beautiful.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

Personally you'll get this all the time once you start showing. Even phones now take high resolution images. (I can do prints from some of mine.) Personal use (including copying for learning) isn't illegal or anything so I usually ask what it's for - usually it's either that they like it and want to show someone, are an artist getting ideas, or are press/bloggers. If the latter I give them a card and ask them to please remember to include the title and my details. Being friendly and asking usually starts a conversation about the work! I also will offer to email a better quality (but web resolution) image.

Even with artists I rarely worry. If someone's at the level that they're taking photos at a show for ideas or technique and wants to try to duplicate it, I'm 99% certain they won't have the skills. They're welcome to attempt it, I don't mind. The coast and cliffs belong to everyone. If they're inspired by my viewpoint so be it.

The blatant theives generally get their images from the internet for copying.

Tina.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Sometimes you do have to defend your work, but if the person is just sharing it with a friend who likes art, hey, you might make a sale there. Be sure to get your contact information into the photographer's hands so the other person will know how to reach you if they want to buy that piece.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
San Diego,CA

Hails from United States

Having researched some aspects in copyrights and art law, I would have to say that anyone - randomly walking up to your work and photographing it without your permission, is in fact infringing on your copy right to that work. Regardless of their reason, you as the artist should tell such people not to, especially if you are not comfortable with this. Allowing them to photograph your work generally means no sales. Why should they? They walk away with an image of your copy righted work - no charge, and does who-knows -what with it. As an artist /photographer, and ArtWalk volunteer, I would suggest putting up a sign as I have seen more artists do now, indicating that you do not want your works photographed w/o your permission. The only time I might make an exception would be for promotionals in a magazine or news article with credible I.D.'s from said promoters.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

I take picture all the time, when I like a style or a way somebody creates a piece...all though most artists don't care when you ask them and tell them why...and yes some people will take a photo and use it for their own purpose without buying the piece...but if it is at an art show festival...and in the public I really can't see how you would stop people from taking pictures, even if you put up signs...if the show is in a building there should be an agreement with the shows sponsors...

Portraity
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2011, 02:06 PM
WC! Guide
OH USA

Hails from United States

Somebody above mentioned photography in museums. We've been to quite a few museums, as well as the Vatican, where flash photography was forbidden. They said it could damage the artwork. I'm a sculptor, not a painter, so I don't know how a flash could damage a painting, but I suppose the cumulative effects of lots of flashes over time could fade it like sunlight does. So if someone wants to take pics of art, and there's no objection to the photo itself, it might be a good idea to ask them to turn their flash off to protect your work.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 PM

Although it doesn't address this particular situation specifically, "The Photographer's Right" by Atty. Bert Krages (generally the "go to" guide as per U.S. law from the photographer's point of view) might lend some insight as to what one's options would be in a case like this.

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

It would seem that the question of whether the unwanted photography takes place on public or private property has great bearing on whether or not it can be prohibited.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCharleston

It would seem that the question of whether the unwanted photography takes place on public or private property has great bearing on whether or not it can be prohibited.

Absolutely, if it is an outdoors festival than there is pretty much nothing that can be done, but inside a building, you have the right to say if it okay to do...and most buildings are privately owned...

Portraity
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-23-2011, 04:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

On a tangent: I resently showed my work in a parish hall (DIY show), and one person came up to my table, where I had a budget box and some postcards, plus a guestbook. One guy took a photo of that table, but not of the paintings. I'll never understand people.

Charlie's Site/Blog, and Pastel Guild of Europe
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Cleveland, OH

I don't see why anyone would take pictures, when I would assume that if they wanted to show your work to someone, they'd ask if you had a website and a business card.

Though, I will say that taking pictures is the least of my worries after I had a guy allow his dog to pee on my booth in an outdoor show, and when I said something to him, he cussed me out and said, "Why would you even bother me by saying something?"

My sketchblog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Midwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorix
On a tangent: I resently showed my work in a parish hall (DIY show), and one person came up to my table, where I had a budget box and some postcards, plus a guestbook. One guy took a photo of that table, but not of the paintings. I'll never understand people.

That one's easy. They liked your set up or box of art or your table and want to do something similar.