Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Color higher pigment part for hundreds years than today in tubes?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mal3

Hi,

I was yesterday in a museum and saw pictures from 14 to 17hund. I saw that the layers have lot of opacity. Does do not have the tubes of top artists colors not the highest pigments than you mix it self?

yellow_oxide

Maybe the opacity was caused by restoration work painted over the original paint?

It could just be that those artists were using opaque paints. I think many modern synthetic organic pigments are transparent or semi transparent, even at high pigment concentrations. Maybe many older pigments are opaque? For example, genuine vermilion is one of the most opaque pigments. Genuine Naples Yellow, lead tin yellow, orpiment, and red lead are all listed as either opaque or semi opaque. Some red earths are also very opaque. Of course, there’s also many historical pigments that are transparent, and lead white is more transparent than titanium white.

I’m not sure if oil paints made with a roller mill have much more pigment than paint mulled by hand. I think roller mills may mostly just be better at fully and evenly dispersing the pigment in oil because of greater pressure. I’ve made oil paint by hand that had enough pigment to have similar tinting strength as paint from a tube, but this is easier with some pigments than with others.

Richard P

Paintings of that period used mostly earth colours. The synthetic iron oxide earth colours available now are more opaque and chromatic than what is available naturally. If you use these with more opaque organic pigments like Pyrrol Red you will have no problems.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.