Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Georgian Water Mixables not mixing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

Several of the painters in my art class, including our teacher, have experienced trouble with Georgians ultramarine blue becoming gummy right out of the tube. The paint will not thin with water, and does not loosen up easily with linseed oil or Gamblin. When I rinse the brush between colors, the pigment does not transfer to the water at all. Prussian blue and Alizarin Crimson seem to be sticky as well.

I have used this paint for two months, so it is new. I am new to oil also, and my teacher has said this is the first time he has had problems with Georgian. He switched back to regular oils for now.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the Georgian water mixable paints degrading? I understand these are student grade, which is fine for now, but I do expect to be able to make a brushstroke with them.

Crystal1

I have never tried the Georgian WMOs, but I know that the Artisan Thinner works well with other paints to make the oils feel thinner and easy to paint with. The Georgian are a very cheap WMO and may not act as well as other WMOs. I hope this helps and I would definitely try the Artisan Thinner to try and save your investment in these WMOs. Hope it works out well for you!

Thank you! I will try the Artisan medium and slowly upgrade the colors that are giving me trouble to one of the better brands. Maybe Duo or Cobra. It’s nice using water because I paint plein air and, well, the less stuff to manage the better.

Don Ketchek

I’ve never tried Georgian either, but I know their regular student grade oils are not usually given good reviews. I would try the Cobra brand. I have never had an issue with them when using water.

Don

karenlee

I have to admit I have not tried Cobra myself, but over the years Cobra WMO have gotten the best WC reviews by users.

Thank you for the replies and helpful advice!

Hi all,

Several of the painters in my art class, including our teacher, have experienced trouble with Georgians ultramarine blue becoming gummy right out of the tube. The paint will not thin with water, and does not loosen up easily with linseed oil or Gamblin. When I rinse the brush between colors, the pigment does not transfer to the water at all. Prussian blue and Alizarin Crimson seem to be sticky as well.

I have used this paint for two months, so it is new. I am new to oil also, and my teacher has said this is the first time he has had problems with Georgian. He switched back to regular oils for now.

Has anyone experienced this problem with the Georgian water mixable paints degrading? I understand these are student grade, which is fine for now, but I do expect to be able to make a brushstroke with them.

I’ve been using this brand for a few years and have never had a problem. They are the old Lucas paint and I would not really describe them as student grade. You might have got some old stock or paint that has not been stored well.
                I would take them back to your supplier.

Georgian was recently bought by Dixon Ticonderoga. The customer service folks were not too familiar with the paint but did offer to replace any tubes that I sent back to them.

Crystal1

I was aware that the Georgian WMOs were taken over by another company. All they’re colors have changed and I would not even try them now. Best of luck with your painting. BTW, I love the cobra WMOs as long as you like a thinner paint. If you want to do thick paintings, I wouldn’t recommend the Cobras. For thick WMOs, you might want to try the new (not the old) Artisan oils.

I was aware that the Georgian WMOs were taken over by another company. All they’re colors have changed and I would not even try them now. Best of luck with your painting. BTW, I love the cobra WMOs as long as you like a thinner paint. If you want to do thick paintings, I wouldn’t recommend the Cobras. For thick WMOs, you might want to try the new (not the old) Artisan oils.

I have the old Lucas colour chart and the Georgian chart and they are identical. The pigment mix’s are the same. Even if the Lucas chart is in German a translation is the same.
                    I think you mean Daler-Rowney bought Lucas out and rebranded the paint to Georgian Water Mixable Oils.

Very nice paint and at a good price.:)

Daler Rowney was bought by the FILA group which owns Dixon Ticonderoga. My call was routed to Dixon’s customer service Dept. In Lake Mary, FL.

Latest casualty was Burnt Siena. It simply does not mix into water any more, and barely loosens up with linseed oil or the gel I use. Bought a few tubes of Cobra, which are delightful😊

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                  • The topic ‘Georgian Water Mixables not mixing’ is closed to new replies.