WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2018, 05:02 PM

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Feb. 2018: optional "red" theme

This is not quite complete, but has some red in it and is painted from life. 16x20 oil on linen.
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2018, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

T1, we did the exact same thing today — painted in our driveways! But mine didn’t turn out as well as yours. I like your “Bushes” a lot. Strong light and shadows, as always with you. So glad to see you posting here regularly!

Bardo, that still life is lovely. Thanks for including some red! That’s one of my favorite bits. Also the knife. And how did you keep a half-eaten sandwich from going stale? Maybe you paint faster than I do. :-)
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

I did a couple things today. Here’s one, a sketch of a nearby house. Sorry, no red! “Telescoping house,” oil on canvas panel, 9” x 12,” 2018.

#94   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member

Incidentally, I’m open to suggestions for an optional theme for March. I’m thinking maybe an optional “green” theme, the color complement of this month’s color. But other ideas are most welcome!
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2018, 02:56 PM

moscatel, that's really awesome. Well, practice is the only way to get there. Oh, that actually sounds really nice, traveling thru Europe. We also visit France every Summer. And we too like countryside/nature away from cities - mostly cuz there only can be so much nature out there nowadays. Maaaaaayyybe we can somehow meet up and do one round of plein air session somewhere? I believe when you sign up in Instagram, it sneakily asks you if you want it to add what it thinks would interest you on your list and end up adding hundreds of them. My memory is a little fuzzy though it has been a while ago since I signed up for it, but if my memory serves me right, I believe you can opt out? Not sure about other platforms... twitter might be a nice place to start - it's simple and sweet. Best part is that it's both PC and mobile friendly. Just be sure to hashtag your post properly for people to notice like #art #oilpainting etc. Just an idea.

Dave, no problem!

T1, oooh nice. I love how you interpreted the lighting with color temp and values like that.

Bardo, That's a pretty detailed still life. You got quite wonderful control over the details. Nice composition.

Geoff, I love how you added a hint of red and yellow on the external walls. It complements well with the vibrant green-blue sky. Next month theme, green would be interesting indeed. Maybe I could suggest using two colors, green and cyan because technically with CYM color wheel, red's complementary is cyan while with RYB it is green. Might provoke some more inspiration?

And btw, you guys, you're lucky to have a nice weather. We got sunshine, but our temp has been in minus for a while. Coldest days of this winter so far! Brrrr! If I attempt to do a session outside, somebody may have to come and drag my frozen butt back inside and dethaw me. So yeah better not.