WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2018, 05:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Portugal

Hails from Portugal
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, Sept. 2018: optional "small" theme!

Geoff, that looks like some pretty good dimensions you have there, would have taken me far longer than an hour to have gotten all the angles to work like that.
Ronsu, I like it, especially the middle colours and texture in the first.
Ju-Ju, thats lovely, those grasses especially.
We have amazing sunsets here and I REALLY want to paint them but its so hard finding time anytime atm let alone at the right time so I shall just have to keep studying them for now.

www.sarahfoxfineart.co.uk
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2018, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Ju-Ju, you had fun with that dragon didn't you! there's something whimsical about the pose, like it's on holiday from all things dragon. really good painting, i like all elements but i love the sand! is it alla prima or layers? my next serious, non-study job is exactly that, and on a well developed painting. scary. you've done it so well!

equinespirit, i know how you feel. the trees have half the foliage left and i had no time painting the most beautiful season with the brightest colors.

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Mississippi Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

Thanks, Equiniespirit. And yes, Ronsu, I had a blast with him! But he was there to start with; I was just lucky enough to catch it. Clouds always have something good going on. It’s mostly alla prima but I couldn’t keep the grass from mixing—too much paint on the canvas, I’m sure—so I went back once it was mostly dry and enhanced them some. And, of course with the brush I my hand, I had to play with the clouds a little more. I’m looking at it this morning and think I may soften the center clouds even more.

Your grasses do look really good. I think the lack of desired depth might be the hill in the bg: it’s still got too much chroma, and it just barely peeps up beyond the trees. That gives a fairly straight green line that visually blends with the trees.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2018, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

thank you Ju-Ju! the blob in the background is a complete oversight, an artefact from sky painting. i'd sort of stopped thinking about it, it's good you caught it! the funny thing is, there is a hill there. my neighbours woud interpret the image that way but in reality, last year was it's final show for a couple of decades as the woods grow. curious how it sneaked into the painting! maybe i should keep it w appropriate treatment...?

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso