WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Re: tell me how to use reds

Seaside Artist, Delofasht, thanks for you explanations. Almost all of my reds are old Grumbacher, so no number. I also have a couple of Da Vincis and an ~1972 liquitex, and a permalba. Time to do some swatches.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

I have far more reds than I need. The ones that get the most usage are the WN Bright Red (the best value in oil paint), WN Scarlet Cadmium and/or Langridge's Pyrrole Orange (really an orangey red), a PR177 from the Blick student series, and Shiva's Crimson red, a mix of PV19 and the notorious PR83.

(PR83 is like a woman I once dated -- incredibly alluring but a known heartbreaker.)

Sometimes I make small abstracts just to play with the other reds. I still have some actual bug paint (Carmine) left, though the tube is starting to go gummy. It still makes a lovely pink. Dare one use it on a serious painting?

Only experience can tell an artist how to apply these colors. We all have our own methods and quirks.

Last edited by JCannon : 09-14-2018 at 03:26 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 04:20 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Then there are those lovely earthy bricky reds:
Terra Rosa, Indian red oxide, Mars red
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 07:54 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon
the notorious PR83
(PR83 is like a woman I once dated -- incredibly alluring but a known heartbreaker.)
it has never broken my heart in roughly 40-50 years, have you had any problems with it?

Last edited by sidbledsoe : 09-14-2018 at 08:10 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Baltimore, MD

Hails from United States

Sid, let's just say that she has a reputation as a dangerous woman.

I refer to both the lady in question and PR83. However, PR83 has actually treated me rather well over the years. I can honestly say that PR83 never made me want to become a monk. (Tibetan or Catholic. It's all good.)
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2018, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast

I just read an old thread re alizarin crimson. Even though I'm using my old paint for studies, for practice, and know that it it is fugative, I expected it to last longer than a few months. But now I'll keep all 4 for plein air, on cardboard to hopefully attract bugs to IT instead of me. Or, can I use it to tone canvas? Since it will be covered by other paint, it shouldn't fade to affect the top colors, right?

I really do not want to buy another tube of red paint. What can I use as a replacement for it? I have
Grumbacher rose madder,
thalo red rose PV19—Quinacridone Violet transparent, uneven dispersal

thio violet transparent, PR122 - Quinacridone Magenta from dick blick:
Quinacridone Magenta is a semi-transparent and powerful bluish red with an impressive mixing range. It makes an excellent glazing color and is one of the bluest of the Quinacridone colors. The pigment's properties vary considerably, depending on how it is ground. Quinacridone pigments have relatively low tinting strength in general.

Da Vinci rose madder PV19.
from dick blick:Quinacridone Red is a high performance, transparent pigment with an average drying time and uneven dispersal. It is another name for Quinacridone Violet (PV19) and Quinacridone Red (PR192). Quinacridone pigments have relatively low tinting strength in general. For this reason, quinacridone colors are often expensive, because more pigment is required in the formulation. Permanence Quinacridone Violet has excellent lightfastness and is considered the most lightfast organic pigment in this shade range.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2018, 12:59 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl
I expected it to last longer than a few months.
I have never had any alizarin crimson PR83 fade in 40 yrs, can you please post some photos of examples of your alizarin that has faded in a few months.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

That's good to know. My AC paints are probably that old, (1969 or so) but I don't have samples. This question arose from http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449189.

I KNOW it was a test, exposed to the sun. conditions a painting may never suffer. but even so, AC has (in my memory) been spoken of as fugitive. I don't want it disappearing even in studies because I put a lot of time and work in them, too.
I have always trusted your judgement, so perhaps I will continue with it's use.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2018, 01:17 PM
WC! Guide
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States

ntl, thanks I thought you saw fading in only months and so I suspected maybe it got some inadvertent bright light exposure.