WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 AM
Melbourne, Australia.

Hails from Australia
Re: WIP - "Geelong Botanical Gardens" - Need advice please

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwilliams
I was thinking of you as I painted today and was not so gently muttering at my work...it's one that I return to now and again...I call it my nemesis painting.

It has a few small figures that I must have redone more than 50 times. Still can't get them right.

Walking away...getting a beer.

Thomas

Haha thanks for thinking of me.
Those fountains are the thing that will probably take me 50 goes at getting right.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 AM
Melbourne, Australia.

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaInOregon
You are doing great! I completely get the frustration - I've been alternatively suffering horribly and thrilled... I'll never forget the buzz when my path actually lay flat instead of humped!

Not being able to get the right color is normal, I think... it gets easier with practice but it's what makes painting an elusive challenge that pulls you in... it's like playing the piano, takes lots of practice. Someone told me that the first 100 paintings are the learning curve. Myself, I've been having a rough section, after you are past the easy thrills of "beginner" but aren't yet "skillful", where you know what you want but can't seem get there... Just . Don't . Give . Up. It does get better.

And also - step back and admire your work; your painting really is working, allowing for not being done - spend a moment focusing on the good! We are sometimes our own biggest critic and shouldn't let that mess up the joy.

The wetcanvas reference image library is great for inspiration, since there are so many pictures, simple and complicated... complicated pictures are harder on your enjoyment/experience since you can get 80% of the parts looking perfect, but then your enjoyment is spoiled if the remaining small part doesn't work.

Thank you so much, Lisa!
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Melbourne, Australia.

Hails from Australia

After a whole day painting here is how it looks.
I am not happy with the fountain, I painted it so many times but cannot make out all the shapes, shadows etc.
Also, not entirely happy with the leaves on the tree.
What do you think? Shall I just leave it and consider it finished?

Name:  20180719_191725.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  169.1 KB
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 AM
A WC! Legend

looking good! I would deepen the shade on the underside of the midground tree and make its branches less parallel to each other. I would also put some leaves in front of the background tree and look at the leaves as clusters, paying attention the lighting and shade and growth patterns (clusters of leaves at the ends of the branches). Some of the branches can be smaller...more variation. Oh, and deeper shadows on the trunk and branches...more 3-D, paying attention to the light source.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2018, 06:39 AM
Melbourne, Australia.

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinasia
looking good! I would deepen the shade on the underside of the midground tree and make its branches less parallel to each other. I would also put some leaves in front of the background tree and look at the leaves as clusters, paying attention the lighting and shade and growth patterns (clusters of leaves at the ends of the branches). Some of the branches can be smaller...more variation. Oh, and deeper shadows on the trunk and branches...more 3-D, paying attention to the light source.

Thank you Mary. I tried making the changes you suggested and here it is.
I am over this little artwork, I think I shall call this finished.
Had a hard time trying to get the leaves and the tree right. I give up. It is what it is. The more I play around with it the more it drives me mad. I spent all day and most of this evening on this.

Name:  20180720_193137.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  141.5 KB
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2018, 07:58 AM
A WC! Legend

Beautiful!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 AM
Melbourne, Australia.

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinasia
Beautiful!

Thank you.
Just noticed something I am not happy with but I've already posted it on social media. Ah wells.