WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-12-2018, 01:41 PM

linocut - problem

Hello!
I'm new here and this is my first post, if this type of question has been up before I'm sorry!

I've just started with linocut and I have problem keeping ink on the plate when I shall print. I use softcut plate and ”Schmincke ink for linoprint” (waterbased). I roll the roller with ink, as I learn on printmaking classes and get that sound that you can look after. But when I roll the plate the ink immediate start to dissapear. I have attached a picture so you can see. I've tried to print a couple of prints anyway just to see if the ink gets better but it still dissapears! And the print areas where it supposed to get black just don't get black at all. What do you think is the problem and what can I change? I'm very happy for any tip!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 01:33 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: linocut - problem

Try a different ink perhaps? Or add a modifier to the ink you already have.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-13-2018, 07:09 AM

Thank you! I will try that
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2018, 03:58 AM

It looks that the plate surface might be oily or greasy and that prevents the water-based ink from sticking to the surface. Try washing the plate with dishwashing detergent to remove any oily stuff. If that doesn't help, take about teaspoon of soy sauce (the usual cooking stuff), wipe it to the plate and then rinse it away with water. Soy sauce is very good in removing grease and helps in wetting the plate with water-based inks (I freaquently use it with copper plates).
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 06:29 AM

Hi yeah it does look like a greasy plate as previously mentioned. You should check out Caligo Relief Inks which are oil based, but can be cleaned up with water and soap. You will get more dense ink and better quality print than normal waterbased inks.

Good luck!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 12:54 AM
Lord of the Arts

You may want to look at Akua inks as well. I had problems with Caligo inks not drying even after a year. Your mileage may vary.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2018, 07:34 AM

Thank you so much for your answers!! I will try it