Home Forums Explore Subjects Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Puck: The Early Days

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SusietheModel

Okay, this is FanArt done for http://www.puckcomics.com/

The Shakespearean Play. A Midsummer Night’s Dream, has Puck describing herself:

[LEFT][COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]Thou speak’st aright.[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]I am that merry wanderer of the night.[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]I jest to Oberon and make him smile[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]When I a fat and bean-fed horse beguile,[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]Neighing in likeness of a filly foal.[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]And sometime lurk I in a gossip’s bowl[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]In very likeness of a roasted crab,[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]And when she drinks, against her lips I bob[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]And on her withered dewlap pour the ale.[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]The wisest aunt telling the saddest tale[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]Sometime for three-foot stool mistaketh me.[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]Then slip I from her bum, down topples she,[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]And “Tailor!” cries, and falls into a cough,[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]And then the whole quire hold their hips and laugh,[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]And waxen in their mirth, and neeze, and swear[/FONT][/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#424242][FONT=LFT-Etica-Web, Arial, sans-serif]A merrier hour was never wasted there.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Act II, scene 1

So, here are my imaginings of that: Dry pastel on posterboard, about 9 x 12″

[FONT=hinted-Graphik, Helvetica, Arial]" A woman's reach should exceed her grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
        Attalus

I have to admit I never thought of Puck’s speech in quite those terms, but that is very imaginative, I just thought that Puck became a three-legged stool and disappeared. I wasn’t in favor of the Robin Hood hat at first, but I like it, now. It gives her a rakish look. I do think the pants should be wrinkled a bit in the front, down towards the crotch. :)

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

Very creative.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
            Every painting is a new adventure.

SusietheModel

Thank you, Michelle :) :wave:

Bill, I have told you that those pants are supposed to be very tight in the waist. Fairy tailoring, maybe. I tried to make some wrinkles at the hip, but maybe I should emphasize that, more. And put in a background :p

[FONT=hinted-Graphik, Helvetica, Arial]" A woman's reach should exceed her grasp, or what's a heaven for?"

She looks sassy. Good use of pastels too, looks like you’re picking them up quickly!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

SusietheModel

Thank you, Virginia! Yes, she is sassy. I am going to practice some more with them. You can never tell when you find out that you might be good at something! :):):)

talisman

Interesting.
                        That is one big glass of ale!
                        No wonder there is toppling.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                        C and C always welcome.
                        My DeviantArt Gallery

Attalus

Don’t forget the English served ale in pints, not our wimpy 12-oz. mugs. Warm ale. Pint mugs. I guess I can see why they dropped roasted crabapples in there to improve the flavor. Or flavour. :)

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

SusietheModel

Thanks, Dianna. I purposely made it big to make the “Aunt” seem small and withered. Must have erred on the side of largeness. :(

Attalus

Well, it is “a little big” but one could also quibble that in England in the 14th-15th century, glass mugs were nonexistent, glass being reserved for luxury items. Commoners like your “Aunt and Gossip” would be drinking ale out of wooden mugs or leathern jacks; or, a step up, drinking horns. None of which would convey “beer” like your stein.

SusietheModel

Thanks for the mansplaining, O, fount of knowledge. I’m not changing it. It’s a “tell.”

Attalus

An anachronism in fantasy is no big deal, I guess, but you have to respect scale and perspective. That stein could be 25% smaller and still hold the twin message that 1) it is a stein of beer or ale (I am not quite sure of the difference, but I feel sure it does not lie in color) and 2) that the “aunt” holding it is small and withered.
                                            I guess I am feeling pretty tough on anachronism, since trying to read the graphic novel Dragon Girl kind of soured me, trying to inject PETA into sustenance hunting. :(

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.