Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Bicycle on beach

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    midwest

Painted this from a friends photo. I am unhappy with the legs. Any suggestions?

Kathie :
        midwest

Also confused about what to do next with the wheels

Kathie :
            🤟🏻

Very nice ambience you’ve created, I love the sky! For your legs, it seems to me like she is standing stationary, and her left foot angle suggests that it’s resting on the pedal, which puts her right foot on the ground. Without seeing the reference photo, extending her left thigh/knee a hair, and lifting the left foot a bit higher to pedal level (which will make the leg appear more naturally bent) while making her right leg a little more vertical would help. Is it possible to post the reference?

Paul Moreau
                Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                FB @pmoreaufineart

midwest

Kathie :
                    DMArtist7

I love your color scheme! It has that old classical feeling to it.

If it don’t mind I did a fast paint over because it is easier for me to explain how I see it.. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have. Anyways the reason her leg and her foot looked off is her bicycle’s perspective was slightly off. Just use basic guide lines to assure the placements as I have demonstrated in my paint over. Maybe something to keep in mind for the next time if you don’t feel like retouching it too much.

You could always just slightly shorten her leg…. I think it may work. Right now her lower leg is way too long.

Once again gorgeous colors! I hope she will like it! :clap:

Greetings
                        Dm7

"Choose only one master – Nature." ~ Rembrandt

midwest

Wow, thanks, DM7, for the lesson!

What if the reartire rested on the ground a tad lower

Kathie :
                            Phranque

Wow, thanks, DM7, for the lesson!

What if the reartire rested on the ground a tad lower

That would fix the whole shebang.

I really like this, too. Well done!

Critiques and comments are always welcome.

midwest

Thank s, Phranque.

Kathie :
                                    🤟🏻

One last thing to look at is her right leg- it is supporting her body weight, so it should be more upright to complete the illusion. I feel like your painting hits the nostalgic emotions a lot more than the reference with your color choices, so very well done

Paul Moreau
                                        Insta @pmoreau_fine_art
                                        FB @pmoreaufineart

midwest

I appreciate that, Paul

Kathie :
                                            DMArtist7

No problem! I think it could work. Just watch out for her lower leg. :) really love the colors! Really do.

"Choose only one master – Nature." ~ Rembrandt

lllmacklll

Lovely painting, I think why you don’t like the legs is because the angle of her foot looks wonky in the reference photo. If it looks like that in the actual photo you can paint it perfectly and it will still seem off. I would straighten it closer to the ground.

midwest

It does look odd in the photo. After looking more closely, I think its resting on a pedal that you cant see.

Kathie :
                                                        Delofasht

The major things about that foot that feel off are the shadow cast from it makes it appear as though it is sitting almost on the ground, when it is resting on a petal a good deal above the ground, and that the lighting on the foot (even though it is mostly in shadow) is off. The planes on top should be catching the sky light anywhere where the sun is not hitting it, and the planes facing the sun and in the light should be getting that light. Fix those two and the foot will feel pretty natural even being at the odd angle.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                            midwest

The shadow was confusing to me. So warmer on topside cooler on nearside

Kathie :
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.