Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Plein Air of Plein Air

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

My friend and fellow painter Danielle Hatherley is in town for a few weeks. While she is here, she’s teaching plein air workshops. Danielle invited me to join the group today even though she knew I would be doing my own thing and not really doing the workshop curriculum.

We were over near Gapstow Bridge– and there were thousands and thousands of people from all over NYC, the US, and the world all looking for the mandarin duck which has been sighted here. That duck wanted nothing to do with anyone lol!

The fall foliage was perfect, and it was cold but that’s ok.

i decided the perfect scene was painting some of the workshop participants. This was an extremely challenging painting for many reasons, one of which being my view was constantly blocked. And also working with the scale of everything.

Lots of passersby wanted to take “clever” photos of them taking a picture of me painting painters. Everyone was really, really awesome.

If you are ever feeling a bit down artistically, I highly recommend going to the most populated place in Central Park and painting. it’s really amazing energy, there is nothing like it. People are amazing.

This is an 11×14 and took somewhere between 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
    Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

FloatingDove

Beautiful painting, love the leaves, the colors…Good job with the people too, people are difficult, LOL.

My cat is the inspiration for my paintings. Cassandra is in all my paintings, as she wants to live in a better world. She and millions of her feline family are suffering silently needlessly. https://www.facebook.com/OilPaintingsofCatDreams/
        billmahler

Great job
            Haven’t been back there for several years, but this will get me there.
            Thanks.
            We have an Olmstead park here in Trenton and I love it, but yes, there’s no place in the world like Central Park.

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
            Winston Churchill.
            http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

Anonymous

It is very attractive and colorful, wish I was there too but we were there painting the bridge a couple of years ago.

Thanks everyone!

Bill- YES come paint!

Yes Sid it wasnt far at all from where we were a couple years ago.
                Next time i will paint you painting. :D

Dcam

Great composition and colors!

Lon Reams

Wonderful little story of the creation of a truly beautiful painting! Amazing colors!

I’ve never painted in front of a crowd larger than a few people! I’m not sure I’d have the patience! I’d holler “Excuse me! Trying to paint here!” then be asked to leave. 😃

Na just kidding. My mother taught me better. But I’d be pretty nervous!

ronsu18

this checks all the boxes, what a painting!

C&C welcome

TWAdair Art

beautiful! I love the thick brush strokes. Keeps it loose and interesting!

Dick

Beautiful painting. I noticed everyone was using the same easel. They look heavy.

Dick Hutchings
                                    Daniel Smith Essential 6 colors and Arches 140#

Yes the group was all using French easels. They are heavy and cumbersome and I personally hate them.
                                    A lot of people really like them though.

I use a box on a tripod.
                                    Since this painting is 11×14 I brought my large heavy setup, which is still far more manageable than a French easel. Sturdier, too. I am basically windproof with this gear.

For larger format a Gloucester easel is the best, but it does have a large footprint so you need more space. I don’t have one but I want one.

AllisonR

I like your colorful interpretation.
                                        Cool setup as well.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                      Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.