Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design The Importance of Negative Space

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Negative contribute to the overall appearance of the composition. Some times we might tend to ignore these spaces however, they are of equal importance.

Negative spaces are those spaces that tend to surround the main objects of our painting.

Paying attention to the negative shapes as well as the objects will help us to check on the accuracy of our observations. Observing the different sizes and shapes, both positive and negative, and how they relate to one another, helps us to more accurately depict what we see.

http://www.juleshilliardfineart.com

La_

Whole heartedly agree – in painting Any subject matter.

It’s a difficult concept for some – my students often have a hard time wrapping their brains around it.

la

ntl

I’ve drawn/painted the view from a window several times, and each time it seems something else stands out almost as if I’m seeing for the first time. Recently it was the number of and placement of sky-holes in a large tree. So now I’m adding more of those.
                More recently, I was about to close the blind for the evening, when I noticed the negative space between 2 distant trees. How could I have missed it! :eek: I guess I’ve been concentrating on heights and overall sizes, and placement of nearer trees. I went back to drawings to see how bad it was. One I did late August, that negative space was not too bad, but other elements were off.
                One I did a week later, that N Space was not as good, but other elements were better…

“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.”
                (French philosopher Henri Bergson)

bongo

Recently it was the number of and placement of sky-holes in a large tree. So now I’m adding more of those.

The sky should be lighter coming thru tree holes to look right. But one of my pet peeves is when the negative sky (other than tree holes)say on opposite sides of a building or between a subjects legs etc doesn’t match with the main area of sky. Those areas often get painted later in the process and if you didn’t save some sky color it’s often hard to match it exactly.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                    STUDIOBONGO

Patrick10

I’ve drawn/painted the view from a window several times, and each time it seems something else stands out almost as if I’m seeing for the first time. Recently it was the number of and placement of sky-holes in a large tree. So now I’m adding more of those[SIZE=1][URL=http://theblackheartgang.com/brentwood-home-coupons/][FONT=Calibri,Arial]
                        [/FONT][/URL][/SIZE]noticed the negative space between 2 distant trees. How could I have missed it! :eek: I guess I’ve been concentrating on heights and overall sizes, and placement of nearer trees. I went back to drawings to see how bad it was. One I did late August, that negative space was not too bad, but other elements were off.
                        One I did a week later, that N Space was not as good, but other elements were better…

“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.”
                        (French philosopher Henri Bergson)

Can you please post a picture of the one of August ?

zhm

Negative shapes are vitally important in the drawing phase (contour) and even in painting. If the negative shapes are not accurate then the drawing is not accurate.

Regarding the value (darkness/lightness) of sky holes, I thought that they are shown (painted or drawn) as darker than the unobstructed sky since the amount of light passing through the hole is less (and is obstructed to some degree).

ntl

bump

ntl

June 11, 2019 I’m posting this here, it’s the first time I’ve painted this scene since last year. It’s watercolor on 9×12″ paper. This is the first painting of this view that I think bears a strong resemblance to the view, including the negative spaces.
                                    The negative space between the two trees in front of the house in the background are what caught me, I think I got it this time. So, progress. I added a few shadows after taking the photo. C&C welcome.

bongo

Regarding the value (darkness/lightness) of sky holes, I thought that they are shown (painted or drawn) as darker than the unobstructed sky since the amount of light passing through the hole is less (and is obstructed to some degree).

quantity and intensity are two different things. Light shining thru the sky holes has the same intensity as the rest of the sky. Since holes are surrounded by darker tree area, you have to make the sky lighter. If you made the sky holes the same value they would appear to be darker than the sky. Youtube video that demonstrates this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Sen1HTu5o

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                                        STUDIOBONGO

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.