Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Internet Sales Strategies Artfinder.com anyone with experience here?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    john22

Has anyone sold through Artfinder.com, and what has been your experience there?

I have been on Artfinder for a little while and I like it. I’ve sold some things, mostly small, but not all. The one drawback is that you don’t get paid for a few weeks after you sell, so you have to pay for the cost of shipping until they reimburse you.

john22

Thanks for your reply Kerri. Have you had to promote your listings on Artfinder for people to find and purchase your work there, or did they find you just through the Artfinder site.

I’m on Artfinder too, was invited quite early on by the founder (whose name I forget but who was a lovely guy very excited and full of ideas). Met him at a juried show in London. I like their terms/contract, I like their jurying. They do a lot of promotion, too. They are also often rolling out improvements in how the site work, that are actually improvements.

I personally haven’t sold anything but also haven’t spent a lot of time with it. As someone with non-trendy style art I expect I’ll have to promote.

So positive from me, though no sales yet.

Abstract coast and geology art: www.tina-m.com | Art/Science gallery: www.grejczikgallery.com

blondheim12

I wonder if it is better for sales than ugallery. I was on ugallery for about 8 months with no sales and dropped it.

Linda Blondheim Art
                http://www.lindablondheim.com
                Blondheim Art and Stories
                http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

onefinepint

I went to look at Artfinder, but it seems you can’t look at the art without establishing a login first. Not sure I like that. It seems they should let everyone look and then require a login to buy.

The listing process isn’t as smooth as Etsy or even Ugallery. And I’ve had two customers, so far, contact me about glitches. So far I have sold more there than on Ugallery, but I tend to list larger items on Ugallery so I think that’s why.

The thing I like is #1 It is juried, so you don’t get buried under a lot of, oh I don’t know, kids drawing Amy Winehouse portraits or whatever.

2 It is an attractive site. It showcases you well.

3. It’s free to list, so other than taking the time for listing and the initial getting in, there’s no risk in trying.

As for promoting, there’s this thing where you can “follow” another artist. (Similar to Etsy and Saatchi) and whenever you list your followers get an email. The email is combined with all the artists the person follows. They also send out promotional emails. I was featured in one last week-the very, very bottom painting and my views that day went from 50 average to 250. Didn’t sell it, but everything adds up, I figure. They also have a contest thing, I haven’t looked very deeply into that. There’s the major social media buttons available to you when you list. They also tweet all new art from their twitter, and it’s an attractive tweet with a picture included. I usually get a few retweets from those, just because they are pretty. So that’s pretty much all the promoting I do there, and I’m not getting rich by any means, but in the grand scheme of it all, I find it worth doing. I get more sales from Etsy, but when you consider the time I put into Etsy, my pay-per-hour is better from Artfinder. :P Hope that helps!

And, that I’ve heard back from, one person found me on Artfinder, but knew of me beforehand from Etsy, and the rest I think found me there. But they didn’t say for sure.

Oh, and one last thing, when I did have to contact the administration about a glitch, they got back to me quickly. That is important to me, especially when a customer is waiting on you. So I wanted to mention that last thing. :P

john22

Thanks for the replies so far to my question!

helen_c

I just had a look at the site but every time I go to view a new page an enormous pop-up descends and blocks the screen, trying to persuade me to join up. It is very off-putting having to close the pop-up in order to see each page and I would have liked to have a browse without being a member first.

Presumably it doesn’t affect everyone this way (maybe it’s because I’m using Firefox rather than Explorer?) or they wouldn’t have any customers?

Edited to add: I see onefinepint had a similar experience.

All important things in art have always originated from the deepest feeling about the mystery of Being.

website/painting blog: www.helencolledge.co.uk

onefinepint

Yes, I had a similar experience, but was using Chrome. I agree that it seems like it would deter potential buyers rather than encourage.

blondheim12

Ditto on that experience.

Linda Blondheim Art
                                    http://www.lindablondheim.com
                                    Blondheim Art and Stories
                                    http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

bearoberts

I joined in November 2013 and between then and the end of August 2014 I sold 29 pieces averaging about £70 – 80. Then it just STOPPED …. I got one sale at the end of Oct, then 2 sales in November …. and have sold ZIP since. It all just stopped. I think when I stopped selling there was a massive influx of new artists who they let on the site (It was juried when I joined – cant *imagine* they are doing that now, seeing some of the stuff on there.) So although I do still have work on there I would not recommend spending much time on it.

Raw Contemporary Art by Bea Roberts
                                        www.bearoberts.co.uk
                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                        Blog; http://bea-roberts-art.blogspot.co.uk

I had been with artfinder since 2014. It was fine in the beginning but they kept changing the rules making it difficult to sell. Payments were held for one month. artist is responsible to put the cost of shipping up front. If the customer does not like the painting and it is returned the artist is not re-reimbursed for shipping. They refuse to return messages when there is a problem and simply ignore you hoping you go away, which eventually I did. I would not recommend any artist sell their work there. I would describe the site as a thrift store selling platform. There were really so many questionable practices that I would steer clear of this site.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
                                      • The topic ‘Artfinder.com anyone with experience here?’ is closed to new replies.